Thread: Orthographic to Isometric -for Neanderthals

Login to Give a bone

Default Orthographic to Isometric -for Neanderthals

I have 20 years experience using AutoCAD on orthographic dwgs and have a good grounding in the basic functionality of thicknesses and rotating the UCS, but do not have alot of experience creating 3D images.

I have an opportunity for a contract taking a company's 2D detail library and converting it to 3D. I am confident that I can learn enough to produce a convincing product, but thought that this community might be able to steepen the learning curve.

Can anyone offer any assistance in the way of tips that might help me avoid any early mistakes?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Orthographic to Isometric -for Neanderthals

Hi, welcome to AUGI.
    Question 1 - which do you want, isometric drawings or 3d models?
    Either way, try looking in the ATP archives for starters.

Login to Give a bone

Hello, jaberwok.
    Thank you for the welcome. I have been perusing the ATP archives and have mined them for some good information. I have questions though, about some macro-level decisions that I know need to be made. The client is a major architectural cladding-system manufacturer, and so they should have the most advanced 3d images of their assembly details as are realistically feasible. By the same token, the end result will be hard-copy that will be photocopied and faxed numerous times, and will be used primarily by tradesmen. I will also have to produce something that I can hand-over electronically to the client.
    So...should they be true 3d? Is it overkill, and maybe isometric is all that is necessary?
    Is there an inexpensive add-in that will assist ?

Login to Give a bone

I've worked on architectural cladding-systems so I'd say that, in the long run, making 3d models will be quickest and easiest even if you only produce isometric images from the models plus you can change viewing angles when the standard isometric view doesn't quite show the detail you want to show.
    Any full version of acad from the 2004 release onward has all the tools you will need. Full versions from R13 onward will do but will be a little harder to use. Most things can be done with LT versions but it will be a lot fiddly and time-consuming.

Quick-start - take the profile from the existing library part, convert it to either a closed polyline or a region and extrude it to give thickness.

Login to Give a bone

Hi John B

-You refer to 3d as distinct from isometric. Can you describe for me how you differentiate between the two? I have a rudimentary understanding of the difference, but thought you might be able to offer a bit more information.

-I have in my mind a vague notion of faces vs. regions. Can you describe the difference ?

-I run 2009, but am not familiar with the 3D menus. You mentioned region, extrude and thickness -I am somewhat familiar with those. Can you give me a few more to investigate?

-When you refer to library parts do you mean for fasteners and steel angles and such, or is there more there than I am aware of?

-will I be able to apply hatch patterns to the exposed edges of these extruded...(volumes?)

-Is there a place to find 3D parts like with sketchup?

John C
    Last edited by iridium77; 2010-03-28 at 11:19 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by iridium77 View Post
    -You refer to 3d as distinct from isometric. Can you describe for me how you differentiate between the two? I have a rudimentary understanding of the difference, but thought you might be able to offer a bit more information.
    Isometric drawing is a 2d method of representing a 3d object. It shows a view from one of four set directions - it's the sort of drawing you would produce on the board with a 30/60 degree setsquare.
    -I have in my mind a vague notion of faces vs. regions. Can you describe the difference ?
    Faces form the boundaries of volumes but have no thickness. Regions are the same except that they can be more complex and can be used to create 3d solids.
    -I run 2009, but am not familiar with the 3D menus. You mentioned region, extrude and thickness -I am somewhat familiar with those. Can you give me a few more to investigate?
    Create a new workspace based on the standard "3d modeling" one and/or create a new profile. Right-click on the border of any toolbar and make sure at least the "modeling", "solid editing" and "view" toolbars are turned on. You can return to your normal working setup afterward.
    -When you refer to library parts do you mean for fasteners and steel angles and such, or is there more there than I am aware of?
    I was referring to the detail library parts that you intend to convert to 3d.
    -will I be able to apply hatch patterns to the exposed edges of these extruded...(volumes?)
    Yes. Or you can apply materials and render them for more realism.
    -Is there a place to find 3D parts like with sketchup?
    Yes. Many. Try cben.net for a start.

Login to Give a bone

Hello, John.
    That's been a great help, thx.

Login to Give a bone

John,

You've been very generous with your time, but I must ask another few questions.

I see a number of ways to create surfaces (regions, faces, meshes...) and objects (primitives, solids, extrusions)

If I understand your direction, you are suggesting that I simply extrude 2d geometry to create my drawings. The other objects I mentioned above are required only for more complex modellling work... agreed ?

JohnC

Login to Give a bone

Meshes and 3dfaces only describe the outsides of objects; sections views show only a single line - mathematically thin as there is no thickness is involved. Even if you model both insides and outsides there is nothing between the faces.
    Solids allow you to model both interior and exterior surfaces and sections (slices) through such a model show "real" material thicknesses.
    Solids are, IMO, easier to produce and modify. Of course, I am used to working with solids but later releases of acad (2007-2010) have newer methods and the latest release (2011) blurs the distinction between surfaces and solids.

It's an old saying that, if acad can do it, there are always several ways it can do it.
    Experiment, see what works best for you and for your client's products.