Thread: Revit Hyperlinks lost when exporting to DWFX

Login to Give a bone

Cool Revit Hyperlinks lost when exporting to DWFX

I am doing a bit of research on the best way to link .pdf files to revit drawings to be passed along to owners after the completion of construction projects in their closeout package. We have identified three possible formats (other than paper) which could work. In order of preference they are:

1. .pdf
    2. .dwf
    3. navis (distant third choice)

I have yet to find the perfect format.

From what I can tell Revit does not appear to export to PDF (please correct me if I am wrong... at least not without the purchase of a third party software) and when AutoCAD does the hyperlinks are not retained. This restricts us to adding hyperlinks AFTER the pdfs are created meaning any changes would require redoing the work.

DWF Files seem to retain their hyperlinks when coming from AutoCAD, but when coming from Revit it only seems to retain the hyperlinks associated with views & not external hyperlinks to websites & pdfs, etc.

I have heard that in going from Revit to Navisworks the URL parameter function as a hyperlink and they are maintained. BUT Navis is our last choice, especially since a low percentage of our clients are familiar with it, though the viewer is free. In addition, it appears (from my limited goofing around with it) that the URL parameter is a type parameter. While 90% of the time this is fine, there may be some instances where we may show the same type in Revit for multiple items, in reality these items have different specs. (is there a way to make an instance based URL Parameter?).

Any suggestions? I am especially interested to hear if there is a way for external hyperlinks to be maintained when exporting a Revit file to DWFX. Please correct me if I have missed something.

Thanks
    Ben

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Hyperlinks lost when exporting to DWFX

I'm having the same issue. I don't understand why it's not working. I even tried to add the [url] command to the http:// line, but it's not working when you click on it.

It shows underlined as if it's supposed to go to a web page.

I'm surprised you haven't had other people commenting on it. It needs to be addressed if we are to use this program for all consultants and owner and such to get on board using this thing.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Please excuse my ignorance.

Can you create a link in Revit that references an external file?

I realise you can add a URL Parameter to a component.

Is there a nice functionality I am missing?

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can create a hyperlink in the file but that's as far as it goes.

At present the URL will display in the properties palette of the DWF file and you can right click to copy the URL to a browser. The problem with that is it not only brings the URL info but a variety of other junk that makes the link as a quick copy/paste unusable.

Does anyone out there know if this can be accomplished through the API in any way?

I'd classify this as 'gotta have it' functionality that needs to be implemented to make DWF a viable option for final deliverable to a client interested in tying the metadata in their BIM to other relevant documents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Revit Hyperlinks lost when exporting to DWFX

Hello,

I was just wondering you have found a workable solution?
    I am currently struggling with the same problem and it's 2015 , ie. a good while since you first posted your query.
    I would hope Autodesk have fixed this by now.

I have included hyperlinks in my BIM model, but when I export the model into DWFX the hyperlinks are "broken".
    I mean, they display correctly, but they are not active when you click on them.
    We need the client to be able to navigate around the model using Design Review (a free software).
    All client's existing registers, schedules and documents are hyperlinked to the BIM model (created in Revit).

I have posted my questions on various forums, I have even contacted Autodesk directly, but with no success.

Any help much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Jana