Thread: Revit Bug? - Split object randomly inherits properties of a split region within it

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Bug? - Split object randomly inherits properties of a split region within it

I often experience what seems to be a bug where by Split object randomly inherits the material properties of a split region within it.

For example, I have a roof and use the split region command to show lead flashings. I use the paint command to change the properties of the split region to lead (the main area roof stays as its materials defined in type properties.

Sometimes, randomly, the main roof area seems to inherit the material of the split region as if I have used the paint tool on the main area of the split object.

This is not due to accidental use of the paint tool, or editing the object in any way. It especially seems to happen when working in 3D.

I have reported to support and it does not seem to be a "documented or reproducable" problem for them.

Does anybody else have a similar problem?

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to Paul Monsef's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Bug? - Split object randomly inherits properties of a split region within it

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dobson View Post
    I often experience what seems to be a bug where by Split object randomly inherits the material properties of a split region within it.

For example, I have a roof and use the split region command to show lead flashings. I use the paint command to change the properties of the split region to lead (the main area roof stays as its materials defined in type properties.

Sometimes, randomly, the main roof area seems to inherit the material of the split region as if I have used the paint tool on the main area of the split object.

This is not due to accidental use of the paint tool, or editing the object in any way. It especially seems to happen when working in 3D.

I have reported to support and it does not seem to be a "documented or reproducable" problem for them.

Does anybody else have a similar problem?

Thanks
    This has happened as long as I can remember; which is why I opt out of using split regions. Editing the roof sketch or other various tasks can interfere with your split region boundaries.

At least thats been my experience.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Revit Bug? - Split object randomly inherits properties of a split region within it

Best practice is to model 2 separate roofs- 1 shingles and 1 flashing.

The split region and paint method will break apart when geometry gets edited/changed/moved, etc.

Same for walls or floors with multiple materials.
    Don't split face and paint. Model individual walls/floors
    or stacked walls, etc.

Learned these lessons the hard way about 6 releases ago.................

cheers

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Bug? - Split object randomly inherits properties of a split region within it

This is not a problem that is recognised by support, so if anybody else experiences the same thing, please post and I will direct them to this thread.

NB: Editing the roof sketch is not the main cause of this prolem for me - its much more random than that. Today, I was editing an in-place family nowhere near the roof with the split face, and the roof material changed for no aparent reason.

Many Thanks for the input
    Last edited by Andrew Dobson; 2010-04-07 at 12:30 PM.