Thread: joining polylines with matching object data

Login to Give a bone

Default joining polylines with matching object data

I have imported contours from GIS and converted the data to CAD objects. Any given contour elevation consists of multiple polylines. I want to combine all the polylines with the same elevation (object data) into one large polyline so when I mouse over a certain line, I can see that elevation across my whole map. I have approximately 40 different elevation increments, with each increment consisting of 20 - 100 polylines, so going through individually would take a very long time.

Is there any easy way to join polylines with matching object data (elevation)?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: joining polylines with matching object data

First you'll can get the polylines up to the elevation that is set in there OD. Check out this post for the way of doing that: http://map3d.wordpress.com/2007/09/2...th-elevations/ .

After you've done that or you don't want/need your polylines at elevation. Then use the MAPCLEAN tool to join your polylines together.

Login to Give a bone

I've got my contour line geometry to correctly reflect the associated elevation. However, I run "Dissolve Pseudo Nodes" in the map cleanup tool and it's not working. My plines are still split. Should I be running something with the pseudo node cleanup?

I know my elevations are correct because a 3D view shows the site properly.

Login to Give a bone

Also try the "Apparent Intersection" and "Snap Clustered Nodes" actions. Those give you a tolerance option just in case the separate polylines are just not quite touching.

Login to Give a bone

I tried adding these two features to the cleanup process, but it still didn't work. It was a good idea and worth a try though.

Since my contours are at 2 foot intervals, I selected all the contours in my map, used mpedit, and joined all polylines that were touching with a "fuzzy" distance of 0.5 feet. This reconciled about half of my contours, but they are still split. If I try the mpedit join again on two that are "touching" but still split, it will not join the contours. I checked in a 3D view, and the lines still intersect, so they are not at different elevations, and I tried zooming in as far as possible and cannot see a disconnect.

Any other ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Only other thing I can think of is go in one by one and use the chamfer or fillet commands.