Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2011 - " realtime rendering " or ambient occlusion in the viewport

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2011 - " realtime rendering " or ambient occlusion in the viewport

Just bumped into this. Choose Shaded view or Realistic. Then go to shadows - > Graphic display and check "Ambient Occlusion".

This is feature is THE best tool for client presentations.
    Using the Gradient Background helps quite a bit too.

Finally... having a top of the line graphics card pays off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2011 - " realtime rendering " or ambient occlusion in the viewport

I agree with you: ambient occlusion gives distinct "cartoon model" fill to the presentation which I really like - good step into real time rendering
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2011 - " realtime rendering " or ambient occlusion in the viewport

Quote Originally Posted by mehow1977 View Post
    I agree with you: ambient occlusion gives distinct "cartoon model" fill to the presentation which I really like - good step into real time rendering
    Now it just needs to

1: work in hidden line views also.
    2: PLOT!
    Snazzy now for spinning a model around in front of a client, or for doing design in Revit where better visualization of form is a good thing. But it really would be useful in monochrome views, and would make for great presentation boards or (shudder!) PowerPoints, which are still more common for us than presentations via Revit.

Gordon

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I find that ambient occlusion really slows when orbiting but does look good. Agree with monochrome. Would like to see perspective option on the standard 3D view for ease of rotation (dare I say, Sketchup styley) to show piece. Even for editing, the distortion can help the brain get a better sense of proportion. Axonometric has its place but how about a little flexibility. Perhaps we're meant to buy showcase?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon.Price View Post
    Now it just needs to

1: work in hidden line views also.
    2: PLOT!
    Snazzy now for spinning a model around in front of a client, or for doing design in Revit where better visualization of form is a good thing. But it really would be useful in monochrome views, and would make for great presentation boards or (shudder!) PowerPoints, which are still more common for us than presentations via Revit.

Gordon
    [Alt] & [Print screen] will capture the image at a resolution that is usually high enough for powerpoint.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dobson View Post
    [Alt] & [Print screen] will capture the image at a resolution that is usually high enough for powerpoint.
    That was what I was thinking.

You can also use the image export function of Revit to get a more consistant image.
    Last edited by jeffh; 2010-07-30 at 01:00 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dobson View Post
    Agreed, as a kludge. But exporting images of known sizes means even in power point you get like sized (ie scaled) images, located in the same place on the slide, etc. Print Screen is more likely to result in views that jump around on the slide, and/or require crop management in PhotoShop. An extra step that a properly thought through and executed tool doesn't need.
    And I would guess we are about 15% power point, 85% presentation boards. And moving away from power point when possible. When talking to a community meeting, users group, school board, etc. boards have a warmth and a certain quality about them that power point just doesn't have.
    And the simple fact is, Autodesk should know better than to ship eye candy that won't print.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon.Price View Post
    Agreed, as a kludge. But exporting images of known sizes means even in power point you get like sized (ie scaled) images, located in the same place on the slide, etc. Print Screen is more likely to result in views that jump around on the slide, and/or require crop management in PhotoShop. An extra step that a properly thought through and executed tool doesn't need.
    And I would guess we are about 15% power point, 85% presentation boards. And moving away from power point when possible. When talking to a community meeting, users group, school board, etc. boards have a warmth and a certain quality about them that power point just doesn't have.
    And the simple fact is, Autodesk should know better than to ship eye candy that won't print.

Gordon
    I do agree that it needs to export correctly at a decent resolution. You are right about powerpoint!

Login to Give a bone

Any ideas, why when we export or print the view with the ambient occlusion on, we lose the the ambient occulusion?

Login to Give a bone

Have you upgraded to 2012?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast