Thread: I wish the default 3D view had a perspective toggle.

Wish List Administration

Default I wish the default 3D view had a perspective toggle.

Summary: If there were an option to switch to perspective view while in the default 3D orthographic view, you could get inside of your building or object while editing. As it is, I'm setting up different 3D views with roofs and floors hidden to look inside. Creating camera views is fine for generating perspectives to look at, but the ability to edit and quickly spin around in perspective makes modelling and visualizing design more effective. Most other pure modelling tools have the perspective modelling environment as the default (i.e. Max, formZ, Sketchup, Rhino, Maya, etc.).

Description: I wish the default 3D view had a perspective toggle.

How Used: If there were an option to switch to perspective view while in the default 3D orthographic view, you could get inside of your building or object while editing. As it is, I'm setting up different 3D views with roofs and floors hidden to look inside. Creating camera views is fine for generating perspectives to look at, but the ability to edit and quickly spin around in perspective makes modelling and visualizing design more effective. Most other pure modelling tools have the perspective modelling environment as the default (i.e. Max, formZ, Sketchup, Rhino, Maya, etc.).

Feature Affinity: Views - 3D Orthographic view

Submitted By: Jeremy Evard on March 22, 2010

Default Re: I wish the default 3D view had a perspective toggle.

I totally agree, we don't live in an orthographic world so why do we have to design and model in one?

I'm glad this finally made the wish list. I hadn't seen and so wasn't able to vote for this wish before. A "first class citizen" 3D perspective view is indispensable in any modern 3D modelling package.

Bah, it's been almost a year and still nothing... how disappointing especially when Vasari has had this feature for a while now. There is a whole new generation of architects coming out of schools all over the world where software like Sketchup, Rhino or 3D Studio are the everyday bread and butter stuff. Not having a fully operational 3D perspective working view in Revit is just remiss at this stage.

I could stop if I wanted to Damo's Avatar

Mods: Can we update this wish status to 'Resolved'?

Latest update to 2015 gives this perspective toggle.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The "toggle" has been there forever but it's always been disabled in simple orthographic views. 3D perspective view needs to become a standard view that's also fully editable. Not just something for looking at your model.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: I wish the default 3D view had a perspective toggle.

I wish the default 3D view had a perspective toggle.

Summary: If there were an option to switch to perspective view while in the default 3D orthographic view, you could get inside of your building or object while editing. As it is, I'm setting up different 3D views with roofs and floors hidden to look inside. Creating camera views is fine for generating perspectives to look at, but the ability to edit and quickly spin around in perspective makes modelling and visualizing design more effective. Most other pure modelling tools have the perspective modelling environment as the default (i.e. Max, formZ, Sketchup, Rhino, Maya, etc.).

Description: I wish the default 3D view had a perspective toggle.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Other

Submitted By: jevard on 03/22/2010

This has NOT been resolved. Yes, you can edit a few more types of objects in a perspective view but it's still not a first class citizen. We need, we must have, a fully editable 3D perspective view. Every single 3D modelling package offers this basic functionality. I still don't understand why it's not available in Revit.

Some people say that Revit is meant for this kind of modelling, that one should use the right tool for the job and use 3D Max, Rhino or whatever. This is nuts. Accurate, easy and convenient 3D modelling is one of the fundamental features of BIM. Revit must have this feature. I continue using Revit because I consider it to be the best in class but it just irks me so much that it's so lame when it comes to manipulating objects in 3D. Even the camera system and view navigation is really antiquated.

This is available as of Revit 2019; please remove this from the list.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: I wish the default 3D view had a perspective toggle.

This wish has been reported by a member.

This thread is closed to further posts while the request is being reviewed by administrators.