Thread: Dimensions in 3D drawing placed on the XY plane (all dims on one plane)

Login to Give a bone

Default Dimensions in 3D drawing placed on the XY plane (all dims on one plane)

Hi,

I would like to ask a question about dimensions in 3D drawing being placed on one plane. I have a 3D drawing, and when I draw a dimension, it gets placed by the program on the XY plane. The dimensions do not stay along the dimensioned objects. Please, see the attached picture. For example, you draw a line from [1,1,1] to [3,3,3] and then dimension it. The dim line is placed to [1,1,0]-[3,3,0] instead of along the line. Would anyone, please, know why this is happening? Thanks.

JT
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to Comach's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimensions in 3D drawing placed on the XY plane (all dims on one plane)

Change the origin of the UCS to align with the line being dimensioned.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimensions in 3D drawing placed on the XY plane (all dims on one plane)

Would I have to do that every time I dimension any line? (Dimensioning worked fine, I was able to dimension any object in any plane, but then something changed, I do not know what, and I am unable to properly dimension since than.)

How do I change the origin of the UCS? Tx.

PS: I think it has something to do with system variables because even if I open a new or old drawing, dimensioning works as described in all drawings. Even if I open old drawing with dims in all planes placed correctly, then when I add new dimensions, the new ones get placed on the one plane as described. Which system variables relate to dimensions and how do I access them?
    Last edited by xjessie007; 2010-04-20 at 06:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Dimensions in 3D drawing placed on the XY plane (all dims on one plane)

I have created another sample drawing from a scratch. Please, see the attachment. Weird thing. I am lost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by xjessie007 View Post

How do I change the origin of the UCS? Tx.

I work in 3D daily so I keep the ACAD UCS Toolbar open. It's faster for me to click the toolbar icon than having to try and remember all of the obscure commands. Depending on what you are trying to dimension in 3D, you can change the UCS either to Face, Object, or View to get the dimension to work properly (show in vertical and aligned to the object). For example, select the 3D object with a view from the Front. Then select UCS View and you should be able to dimension the line/object on the 'Z' plane instead of the XY plane. Hope this helps.