View Poll Results: What do you think of my idea?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • In Favor

9 100.00%
  • Not In Favor

0 0%
  • Not Relevant

0 0%
  • Don't Understand

0 0%
  • Already Can

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Improved Revision Tracking

Lightbulb Improved Revision Tracking

I wish there was a way to track changes after bid issue for purposes of annotation.

In my opinion, one of Revit's greatest strengths is its ability to automatically disseminate changes throughout a document set (ie: make a change in 3D model view and elevations, sections, plans, etc. update as well). However, I've found that it's easy to lose track of those changes in views other than the ones I'm working in. This becomes an issue when those changes occur after a particular issue and need to be clouded. For instance, I was recently working on an addendum to the project I was working on that required a piece of equipment be relocated. I made the change from a plan view and then clouded the change in each of my plan views, but I nearly forgot to go back to my interior elevations, equipment schedules, and 3D views and cloud those as well. And after the change was made, it was difficult to determine what areas to cloud on the interior elevations where the equipment was previously displayed because it was now showing just a blank wall.

I would suggest adding the ability to place some sort of keymark at various stages in the life of a Revit File corresponding to milestones in the life of the project (ie: Bid Issue, Revision 1, Revision 2, etc.). Then via the View Properties Dialogue Box, provide the option to display any objects (annotation, model, or otherwise) that are in any way modified after the keymark is placed in a different user-defined color. That way, once all changes have been made it's easy to go through each of the sheet views and cloud the areas of the drawing that have changed because they're essentially highlighted for you. I would also suggest adding the option to display some sort of "ghosted" or halftone trace of the drawing as it existed at the moment the keystone was placed for facilitating the clouding of drawing areas where items have been deleted (like my interior elevation example above). Hopefully this would be independently controlled from the changed objects since there would likely be times when the latter feature would be undesirable.

Hopefully something like this can be incorporated into a future release, but in the meantime I'd be interested to hear of any workaround solutions anyone's come up with to deal with the issue.

Default Re: Improved Revision Tracking

Export all your views as dwg.

Link them back to the relevant views.

Amend away.

Look at the views.

See the change.

Cloud, tag, schedule revision.

Unload dwgs.

Save and exit (relinquish as necessary).

Go home and drink a glass of red in the name of a job well done.

Sleep.