Thread: Batch DGN to DWG converter

Login to Give a bone

Default Batch DGN to DWG converter

I have a job where I have been converting DGNs to DWGs and, when finished, back to DGNs. The only method I can find, which works beautifully, is to use Microstation PowerDraft and save as or export to DWG. When I'm done working on the file in AutoCad, I then open it in PowerDraft and save as or export back to DGN. Using this method, I have absolutely no conversion errors whatsoever. When I use AutoCad Architecture 2012's import and export tools, I find that you cannot specify nearly as much in the conversion settings and there are many more errors.

My problem arose when this job expanded and now I have to convert (back and forth) 1330 files. This is gonna take me forever using my current method. Is there some way to automate the method I've been using? Any help is appreciated.

I'm also open to any other methods with minimal conversion errors. Thanks.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Batch DGN to DWG converter

I'm curious...in your previous workflow, were you working with vanilla AutoCAD files?

If so, I think you're going to run into serious problems because of the intelligent AEC objects inherent in AutoCAD Architecture. I'm not sure what "import and export" tools you're referring to, but unfortunately there is no easy way to 'dumb down' the AEC objects for use in vanilla AutoCAD...other that the Export to AutoCAD tool. That's when the AEC content is exploded to simple linework and Blocks...is that what you're talking about?

Another option is to use the DWGConvert tool within DWG TrueView. It will allow you to batch convert AEC objects down to dumb AutoCAD objects as part of the conversion process, but you have to choose the appropriate file format as part or the Conversion Setup...it won't happen automatically.

Login to Give a bone

I appreciate the reply, but I think you may have misunderstood my question. The developer is giving us V8 DGNs and need us to do some simple as-built mods; just stamps and linework. We do not have a Microstation license, so we are using Autocad Architecture 2012 to modify them. I don't really think we need to dummy these files down. I've used Autocad Architecture's DGN import and export commands and never seem to get fully-functional drawings. Microstation PowerDraft's import and export tools have many more options and seem to work perfectly. I'm just trying to find a way that I don't have to open every file in PowerDraft to export to DWG, then, when finished modding them in Autocad Architecture, open every file in PowerDraft again to import to DGN for delivery. I hope that makes sense.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by invisible_guy View Post
    I hope that makes sense.
    Mmm, maybe. So are you not having any issues converting these files back and forth using PowerDraft? If that's the case, I may have misunderstood the real question here. A quick search of "Batch DGN to DWG converter" on Google resulted in several options, but I can't vouch for any of them.

Regardless, I still can't help but wonder why you are using AutoCAD Architecture (ACA) to modify these files? Running ACA "as AutoCAD" makes more sense to me. Reason being, just opening a file in ACA can sometimes cause the DWG file to "think" it contains AEC content. Once that happens, everything that I mentioned previously applies and may (or not) explain some of the errors you experience making the conversion from within ACA.

As far as PowerDraft is concerned, I'm not familiar with its import/export tools and cannot comment on them. However, as far as the DGN import and export commands you mentioned in ACA, I believe they exist in vanilla AutoCAD as well, so there really isn't a benefit in my mind to use ACA OOTB. It may not solve the bigger problem here, but t's worth trying if you ask me

Login to Give a bone

Not sure if you are still looking for another suggestion or not, but a client had a similar question today and one of my coworkers responded with this:

"Decision Graphics makes the best software for doing this"

I can't vouch for the product, but you might want to check it out