Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Civil 3d Question

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3d Question

Am I missing something about how to use these forums? I am just starting to use Civil 3D and was told by my supervisor many of the answers to my questions could be found here. This forum contains many of my questions and it seems like there are supposed to be answers here, but appear to be missing. Were do I find the posts the users are referencing in this thread?

Problem Solved - Forum Mgr.
    Last edited by richard.binning; 2005-01-27 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Problem with Missing Posts Solved

Login to Give a bone

Yes, there's something a bit odd happening. I don't know what the deal is, but I know there have been more threads and posts than I can see right know. Most of the answers in this thread have come from the irrepressible Michael Farrell, and I can see any of them now.
    Does anybody else have a comment on this?

Having said that, there hasn't been much action here in the last couple of months, so it might be worth your while asking your questions anyway. You might be able to stir up some action. I can't promise much help myself (haven't had time/energy to learn Civil 3D much) but you never know.

Problem Solved - Forum Mgr.
    Last edited by richard.binning; 2005-01-27 at 05:54 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Check out the feedback forum for the answer to these missing posts.

Login to Give a bone

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=13650
    Thanks, I thought it must have been something like that.

Stephen

Login to Give a bone

Mike Farrell is AMAZING. I want him to come to my office and just sit there so I can ask him questions all day. Sigh.

Our IT person just decided to switch to Civil 3D because HE thinks all of Land DeskTop is going to go away and be replaced by C3D. My boss refuses to give up AutoCAD R14 and EaglePoint (I'm not sure I blame him). We are land surveyors. We do a lot of work for McDonald's and MDOT (Michigan Dept of Transportation). So I draw some fast food restaurants and a LOT of roads and bridges.

We need to revive this forum and make it work for us.

Carolyn

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Not to worry, there are moderators that watch these forums daily. I personally check in three or four times a day if not more. Since I am in Mountain time, and I don't usually get up until 5:00 AM, it takes me until 6:30 or 7:00AM to check in here.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccallen
    Our IT person just decided to switch to Civil 3D because HE thinks all of Land DeskTop is going to go away and be replaced by C3D. My boss refuses to give up AutoCAD R14 and EaglePoint (I'm not sure I blame him). We are land surveyors. We do a lot of work for McDonald's and MDOT (Michigan Dept of Transportation). So I draw some fast food restaurants and a LOT of roads and bridges.
    I suspect your IT guy is right, at least eventually. C3D has a huge number of problems, so many that even Autodesk realizes they can't tell everyone to use C3D instead of Civil Design, at least not for a while. But they want people to keep buying subscriptions to LDD and Civil Design. So, they're following typical Autodesk strategy, and just saying nothing.

The main reason I'm saying this is experience in the past. I don't think LDD 2005 has any significant revisions to LDD 2004, it was just haphazardly upgraded to tie in with some of Autocad 2005's new code. Plus, bugs that have existed in the last couple of versions of LDD are still around. Autodesk doesn't seem to be making any effort at all in improving LDD. Thus, the impression that the death knell for LDD has already rung at Autodesk, they just don't want anyone else to know yet.

Just my impressions from the utter lack of improvements or bug fix releases to LDD... Whenever I've seen companies do this in the past, it's always just before they announce the retirement of a product.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by richards.64879
    I suspect your IT guy is right, at least eventually. C3D has a huge number of problems, so many that even Autodesk realizes they can't tell everyone to use C3D instead of Civil Design, at least not for a while. But they want people to keep buying subscriptions to LDD and Civil Design. So, they're following typical Autodesk strategy, and just saying nothing.
    Oops, shows what I know.

Right after I sent this, someone threw something on my desk from Autodesk, detailing how they discontinued Civil Design as of 1/15/05 and expect everyone to move to C3D...

Huh. I also notice that C3D is twice the price of Civil Design... Guess they want you to pay even more, and get the Civil 3D Pro product. That includes LDD, CD3, and Civil Design... Seems to be the only way to still get Civil Design.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Our IT guy just showed me a web page stating that the next release of Civil 3D WILL contain Pipe Works . . . no word on hydrology.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Interesting, someone has included a big, bold "PROBLEM SOLVED" on my comment above. Although I was pleased to see that the apparent missing posts are back, there are a whole lot of unanswered questions that are more than a few days old here on Civil 3D as well as the rest of the GIS boards. I have run across most of these questions as well in my first attempt at using Civil 3D and was surprised to find so few answers except on the threads where users started throwing guesses back and forth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast