Thread: Rough Opening Coordination

Login to Give a bone

Default Rough Opening Coordination

How well are you able to coordinate the rough framed opening for doors and windows with your architectural clients?

I'm having my first such experience. I know the exercise should be more thorough than with CAD drawings. Then again, I'm not creating shop drawings. There must be a Happy Place (tm) in there somewhere.

TIA,

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rough Opening Coordination

While it varies per job, the potential exists for the coordination to run smoothly "IF" the owner of the walls models appropriately.

Unfortunately some clients are using the out of the box content, or similar families that constrain the opening to the outside face of the door frame.

In some (most) cases the rough opening will need to be slightly larger. Ideally the door family will take this into acount to allow for proper representation in 3d as well as schedules.

For the clients that have mandated use of their own door/window families that are not corrected for this type of rough opening we are left with manually determining/modeling them in the structural model.

As the arch model and doors typically exists prior to the structural model copy/pasting their door families into the structural project and swapping for your own "opening" families that contain the proper symbolic representation and rough opening sizes works well.

Often I will copy paste all the openings from the arch and modify their families ensuring proper structural rep (omitting door frames, panels, etc) and including opening lines.

In a perfect world the families could toggle between showing the rough opening/opening lines, and the door, frame, panels, via view discipline. (see wishlist...)

In a more perfect world we would all be working on the same database in true BIM fashion and there would be no need for copy/pasting and swapping of families.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rough Opening Coordination

Quote Originally Posted by Jshaver View Post
    While it varies per job, the potential exists for the coordination to run smoothly "IF" the owner of the walls models appropriately.
    Sorry, could you elaborate on how the door family should be created/modified so that rough openings can be linked through different files?