Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you close a Group after you edit it???

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you close a Group after you edit it???

Editing the group via the project browser opens it up outside the project environment. Essentially, the group is opened as a separate .rvt file. This is useful because it allows you to use the group in multiple projects. To get out of the group in this environment, just close it as you would close a project file, or save it as a .rvt file. After saving it, you can
    "Load as Group" (under Insert Ribbon) and load the modified group into your project. In a perfect world, it would be nice to be able to load the group directly into the project.

In-place editing is where most people have had trouble closing the group, because of the Group tools ribbon floating somewhere off-screen when working in an upgraded project.

Login to Give a bone

This is what we learned this morning. We tried to change the screen into a single monitor and close RAC2011, then open RAC2011 again. The Edit Group toolbar is still disappeared. Close and Open RAC2011 again. Create a new project and create a new group. The Edit Group toolbar will show on the top left under the ribbon, then you drag the Edit Group toolbar into the Ribbon so that it will dock in the Ribbon.
    The next time you do Edit Group, the Edit Group toolbar will show in the Ribbon instead of on the top left under Ribbon which sometime shows up and sometime disappeared.
    Hope this help!

Login to Give a bone

thalim, and the other poster earlier (sorry can't remember who), thanks for the fix, worked like a charm.

Login to Give a bone

I would imagine most of you who are having trouble with panels not appearing in your ribbon because you are running Nvidia software for your dual screen setups. There is a 'Do not allow windows to open out of screen' tick box (its called something like that), if you turn this off (to allow windows to open off screen) then your tabs should start appearing in your ribbon again.

If its not Nvidia software your running, check that whatever software you are using doesn't have a similar option in use.

Hope this helps.

Happy Reviting.

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tach5 View Post
    thalim, and the other poster earlier (sorry can't remember who), thanks for the fix, worked like a charm.
    We're trying this now, thanks for the fix.
    Also thanks for the suggestion that the pallet would re-appear when editing group in another project. I was about to think we had to bin the file.

One of our users had the same problem on a single monitor laptop. However he used to have a secondary monitor when working in Revit 2010.
    What I like, and actually submitted to the wishlist, is that we're now prompted on Cancel group when changes are being made that cancelling can't be undone. When the buttons are on the ribbon, it's very easy to click the wrong button by mistake due to an involuntary spasm (working under stress) or just by being tired or unattentive on a Friday.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

here is what I do.

Take a post it note. The half size ones work GREAT. On it write
    "FG- FINISH GROUP
    CG-CANCEL GROUP
    AP-ADD TO GROUP
    RG-REMOVE FROM GROUP
    AD-ATTACH DETAIL TO GROUP"

Stick this to the edge of you monitor.

In all seriousness, this issue needs to be resolved.
    I can't find any other workaround.

Login to Give a bone

This is an old thread but I'm having this problem relatively often now using 2013 (3 times today). Control toolbar was there, then it wasn't. FG does not work. CG does not work. I cannot exit out of the group without hard crashing Revit. I can't believe this problem continues...

Login to Give a bone

"Could it have something to do with that we have dual screens? When I extend the REvit Window across 2 screens I still can’t see the tool pallet"

I know this is an old thread but I was having the same issue and it was due to how my task bar was set up for my dual screen. Im going to post my fix here in case anyone else needs it in the future. GOOD LUCK!

Im in 2019 and Im unable to close after entering the "edit assembly". There is no finish or close box. Its not floating off somewhere or hidden behind anything. I have searched thoroughly. No amount of keyboard shortcut adds or removals has helped, and this has been ongoing for sometime.

I have even gone to the extreme of removing EVERY short cut key and reentering only what I need. Still no change, still stuck in edit assembly with no way of closing out and saving my changes.

I do have 2 monitors, so by chance, I went into my taskbar settings to fool around with them and see what I could figure out. After trying multiple combinations and re-editing my short cut keys again, I finally found a working solution.

Im not sure which settings impacted the issue and caused it to finally start working, so I will list all the settings I changed.

Combine Taskbar buttons Never

Show taskbar buttons on taskbar where the window is open

Combine Buttons on other taskbars Never

In Revit, I went into options, user interface, keyboard shortcuts, customize and typed in "Finish" .

Under "Finish Contextual Tabs>Edit Assembly" I added my shortcut FA (you can add whatever) and closed out.

In the project I opened my assembly, made my change, then typed in FA. VIOLA!!! The assembly closed.

Again, I am not sure all of these changes are required, they are just the changes I had made when it finally started working.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123