See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Linking Data Spreadsheet to Navisworks for Facility Management

Login to Give a bone

Default Linking Data Spreadsheet to Navisworks for Facility Management

Using Navisworks Manage, there is no issue linking a database to Navisworks and subsequently using that to get facilities and maintenance information. The goal is to make a model with all of maintenance information embedded within the model. I know that this is possible with Manage and believe it to be possible with Simulate. This is all great, but when this model is given to the owner, how can they view it without using manage or simulate (up to $11,000, depending on the version). We do not want to provide seats for Manage, just way too expensive. Does anyone have a creative solution or have information on any additional softwares? Or if I am completely wrong in my assumptions/leasons learned, let me know that, too. We want to be able to give the model to the owner and maintain the database link without spending a ton of money. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linking Data Spreadsheet to Navisworks for Facility Management

I'm investingating something similar in Review, so Data Tools should be available in Simulate. While the data links seem to export to NWD, Freedom doesn't seem to read them; they *might* be available via the Freedom API but thats a steep hill to climb. I'm pretty sure if you want to have them access the database through NavisWorks they will have to have a NavisWorks license. If its not a deliverable then nothing lost.

Login to Give a bone

Thats what I though, thank you

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gschramm View Post
    Using Navisworks Manage, there is no issue linking a database to Navisworks and subsequently using that to get facilities and maintenance information. The goal is to make a model with all of maintenance information embedded within the model. I know that this is possible with Manage and believe it to be possible with Simulate. This is all great, but when this model is given to the owner, how can they view it without using manage or simulate (up to $11,000, depending on the version). We do not want to provide seats for Manage, just way too expensive. Does anyone have a creative solution or have information on any additional softwares? Or if I am completely wrong in my assumptions/leasons learned, let me know that, too. We want to be able to give the model to the owner and maintain the database link without spending a ton of money. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated
    I've just been reading up on the topic, to see if people are using Navisworks during the Facility Management stage (because, in my opinion based on our workflow, it won't work).

I think it's fantastic that you're linking the database to the model.
    But, you're right, there's no way we (facility owners and operators) will be able to purchase Navisworks, since we're already not thrilled about the cost of purchasing AutoCAD and Revit. Additionally, there is no value add here for us, shelling out this dough. The information linked to your model is valuable only so long as the data and the model are both up to date. The second you turn it over, it starts changing.
    The answer is that we need to find a way to get the data and the model into editable forms.
    The data needs to be exportable to a CMMS (Maximo, Archibus, etc) and the model needs to be in a form editable by the staff (we currently accept only DWG and RVT formats).
    It seems counter-intuitive to spread that around, but, it really makes more sense for our workflow... the mechanics need to see the parts and procedures for their specific trade, and all they need for that is a room number.

I'd be curious to know if any of the major CAFM/CMMS vendors can speak with Navisworks, to import that type of thing so it can be used and updated?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

If you run a Navisworks freedom file through active X on Internet explorer you can tell the active X control to reference the data link on selection and bring up the data in much better ways then navisworks.

This is completely free way and still uses the same database, navis active X controls (Free), and some basic web ASP skills. Plus you can update and make changes to the data and it still connects to the model.

You can run it on a single computer, server network or host online.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by m20roxxers View Post
    If you run a Navisworks freedom file through active X on Internet explorer you can tell the active X control to reference the data link on selection and bring up the data in much better ways then navisworks.

This is completely free way and still uses the same database, navis active X controls (Free), and some basic web ASP skills. Plus you can update and make changes to the data and it still connects to the model.

Thanks for the rundown, much appreciated.

I think I understand what you're saying, you can update linked data. But, if you need to update the model itself, you'd still need Navisworks?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Correct.

Someone would need a copy of the model in order to update it.

But then someone would need a copy of whatever package their using to create a Navisworks files for Navisworks to consolidate them again for publishing.

The best way I have seen this work is with Service Agreements between Model Authors to establish a relationship to update the model on behalf of the Body Corp/FM Team.

Saves any learning of the Revit software unless this is to be the goal of the Team to use these assets, however locally we have had alot success with this agreement and being long term adds value to our own services.

Login to Give a bone

Correct.

Someone would need a copy of the model in order to update it.

But then someone would need a copy of whatever package they're using to create a Navisworks files for Navisworks to consolidate them again for publishing.

The best way I have seen this work is with Service Agreements between Model Authors to establish a relationship to update the model on behalf of the Body Corp/FM Team.

Saves any learning of the Revit software unless this is to be the goal of the Team to use these assets, however locally we have had alot success with this agreement and being long term adds value to our own services.
    Okay, I can understand that approach.

It seems it would be easy enough with large renovations, but, I'm wondering how simple this would be for small corrections that would typically be made in-house (ie, a pipe is added by in-house crews or on a design-build project, or a plan is found to be inaccurate during the maintenance phase?), as those would typically not have budgets the way a construction/reno would have.

I confess... I am just having trouble wrapping my mind around an owner being advanced enough to utilize a Navisworks model, but, not having a desire to retain control over editable documentation and having a slush budget enough to have someone fix tiny items.

We've got CAD files dating back to 1989, and, I have to say, most of the companies that originated them are no longer in existence. It seems like having others update our models would work in the short term, but, would present some hurdles later on.
    At this point, my facility is only accepting DWG and RVT, which we can edit ourselves (and do), but, I do not wish to close off my mind to other options without exploring them.

Thank you very much for your time in answering my questions.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Hello Guys,

One more way to link data in Navisworks Manage and see them in Navisworks Freedom, read more at

http://bim-3d-4d-5d.blogspot.com/201...e-and-see.html

Regards,
    Suresh C

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Are you talking about the Navisworks ActiveX Control (Redistributable)?

If so I believe you are correct that you can view navisworks models using the ActiveX control but as far as I know there is no access to any of the model / object properties via the API unless you are using the licensed version of the control. In that case you need the full version of Navisworks installed on your machine. Also, from what I can see by looking at the documentation there is no access to the DataTools at all via the com api.

If you've done this I'd like to see an example.

-S