Thread: Adding lengths of gutters and downspouts

Login to Give a bone

Default Adding lengths of gutters and downspouts

Hi there,
    I need to add up the total length of all my gutters and all downspouts. What a hassle that you can't select all and get a total length in Revit! Has anyone encountered this issue and found a way to solve it? Even a third party add-in or excel spreadsheet would be helpful.

I spent over two hours selecting each gutter, writing down its length, then adding it all up (feet, inches, fractions), only to do it again to verify and come up with a different number ... SIX TIMES before I finally got two matching numbers. I mean sheesh how frustrating. I think I'm just having a blonde day because that shouldn't have happened. I'm not too thrilled to do that all over again with the downspouts, so any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks!

I could stop if I wanted to Paul Monsef's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding lengths of gutters and downspouts

Quote Originally Posted by john.mccamont View Post
    Hi there,
    I need to add up the total length of all my gutters and all downspouts. What a hassle that you can't select all and get a total length in Revit! Has anyone encountered this issue and found a way to solve it? Even a third party add-in or excel spreadsheet would be helpful.

I spent over two hours selecting each gutter, writing down its length, then adding it all up (feet, inches, fractions), only to do it again to verify and come up with a different number ... SIX TIMES before I finally got two matching numbers. I mean sheesh how frustrating. I think I'm just having a blonde day because that shouldn't have happened. I'm not too thrilled to do that all over again with the downspouts, so any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks!
    Well it depends on the downspout family I guess. Model the downspouts using say the Plumbing Fixture Category and you can extract the total length via a schedule.
    Last edited by Paul Monsef; 2010-04-27 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling :o)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monsef View Post
    Well it depends on the downspout family I guess. Model the downspouts using say the Plumbing Fixture Catagory and you can extract the total length via a schedule.
    Good thought! I'm not so good with schedules (I can get around in 'em tho) but how do you add an instance parameter to them? All my downspouts have instances for the length so I don't have to create a new family for each separate one-off.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

create family of Plumbing Fixture or other suitable Category, and add share parameter of Length.