Thread: Revit Material Naming

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Material Naming

Would anyone out there be willing to share their material name convention? What do you use Masterformat, Out of box Revit, Custom? Would you be willing to provide a sample rvt or an text list?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Material Naming

Out of the box Revit is truly horrible when it comes to the Material naming standard (or lack thereof). We are in the process of reworking this for 2011 hopefully. The route that I am suggesting is to use Masterformat 2004 naming conventions. Revits 'Material Class:' will use the Division Number and Division Name i.e. 03-Concrete. The materials within that category will follow the convention down to the next two levels i.e.
    03 31 13 Heavyweight Structural Concrete
    03 31 16 Lightweight Structural Concrete
    03 31 19 Shrinkage-Compensating Structural Concrete

This may prove to be a little to extreme as the names get really long. This is especially annoying when you are looking at a material name in an 'Edit Structure' dialog like in a Wall of Floor. Of course, the list will get all fouled up when people start bringing **** families into the model that have materials hard-coded into the family. We suggest as a best practice for all materials that need to be defined in a family to have a parameter created for them and the solid associated to that parameter so it can be assigned in a project.

I could stop if I wanted to rkitect's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Material naming should be done to meet the needs of your company's documentation standards. If material names do not affect your standards then make them descriptive at best. As hermey mentioned, 03 31 1... doesn't tell you much when you're looking at the assembly dialogues and the masterformat numbers as well as any other property of the material can be taken care of in a parameter within the material.

Login to Give a bone

Hermey, It seems as though you gone through this process before. It's looks like a lot of work, which idon't mind doing, but if it were possible to aquire a rvt file with these materials pre populated, that would make my day. If not it looks like I have a weekend of typing ahead of me.