Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-Rectangular Wall Foundation

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Non-Rectangular Wall Foundation

So after much back and forth with architectural and structural representatives here is the process we have come up to solve this issue.

1) Structural designer creates a model line and align/locks it to the center of the wall that has a thickened slab. Additionally they align and lock the ends to the walls where appropriate. This ensures that the model line stays centered in the wall if it moves and gets longer/shorter as needed as well. Last part, and rather important, make the line style "<INVISIBLE LINES>". This ensures the line doesn't show up in everyone elses project when the structural model is linked in.
    2) The structural designer then creates a slab edge attached to the model line. We created a custom thickened slab profile that has the dimensions needed for structural engineers including variable thickness, width at the bottom of the footing, and slope of the edges.
    3) Join the model line based thickened slab with the slab, and other slab edges providing a good cleanup.

This allows for accurate modeling, quantity takeoff, rebar coverage, etc. We just implimented this idea so we haven't fully vetted it, but the preliminary on-project testing looks good. Will update post if anything goes wrong.

Thank you all for your help and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mintz View Post
    I would create a new Generic Lined Based Component family. You can set the Category to Structural Foundations.

The idea of using beams makes me cringe...

In-place sweeps is a good alternative. I personally prefer to avoid in-place families.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Non-Rectangular Wall Foundation

I know this might be a little too late to ask/suggest, but what do you guys think about editing a regular wall... edit type > edit structure > and modify vertical structure via Wall Sweeps and Reveals?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12