Thread: Natural content trees, bushes grass etc

Login to Give a bone

Default Natural content trees, bushes grass etc

I have been using revit and the various rendering engines since version 6 now and finally i think the render engine is good enough to try and produce convincing renders.

my problem is now though that the content supplied with revit for trees and bushes etc all the key elements that are really important in a convincing image are not catered for very well at all.

so i have started to look to pay for additional 'nature' library items but there seems to be very little choice (or i am looking for the wrong thing)

Please can people let me know what they have done for these items and where they have bought them from and does it all have to be RCP or do people still make solid real 3D trees etc?

many thanks

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Natural content trees, bushes grass etc

Hi Bill,
    good to see you post again.
    I never use RPC content for final client hand-ins. I think it looks fake and really dislike the look all that kind or content yields in a scene.
    I only use it the odd time for SD stuff and never leave it with the client.
    I try and use the .png export method and either bring it back into Revit with a backdrop or slip it into PSP and do the backdrops there (mostly photographs of site vistas tweaked to suit the need (see attached - sorry about the decal as it was a joke to some colleagues about a workshop we just attended, and the work is definitely a WIP !!!, but the trees behind are from the site and positionally and scale wise fairly accurate).

I am looking into one of the modo tools (Replicators) and using Instancing as there is a how to make a 2 minute forest video tutorial which I think you would find utterly compelling as the seed material can be diverse and the outcome stunning. I might try and figure a way to use these as backdrop items either in Revit or PSP or carry on with modo for rendering as well as animating. Either way, you are acknowledging the value or a range of tools in the kit.
    Finally, there is no local NZ RPC content and no NZ vegetation with Revit and none otherwise unless we make it ourselves - so this is a very strong (additional) reason to avoid using the content available as well because the context is not appropriate either.
    kind regards
    trombe
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I have been using Vue before I started using Revit. My workflow was Autocad then to Max then to Vue. Now its Revit then to Vue in Max. Ecosystem and Painting vegitation was a huge time saver for me. Plus you have an infinite number sky/cloud setting. So no Perspective print will have the same background.

Login to Give a bone

Trombe

i am with you on the RCP content, i hate it too. never looks right.

I have been using the background technique and photomontages for a long time now and am comfortable with that but the work i do is mainly brochure work or houses and need some foreground vegetation and trees that casts proper shadows, and looks real.

I have had a quick look at rendering in 3DS but when i convert from revit it never really comes out like i had hoped with small anomolies that ruin the images.

Jun

what is ecosystem and painting vegetation? is it a part of 3DS or are they seperate packages?

Thanks for your interest guys

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Bill,

attached vegetation created from one seed tree, replicated in about 15 seconds into an orchard / collection, render time was just under a minute although the res was 480 x 720 @ 300 dpi, so is at the bottom end. I guess the thing was that it is possible to get a significant amount of reasonably convincing vegetation without the file size being bothered (you have to have a forest at high res to work the donkey) and in a fast time, so getting fast backdrops for export and use in the P-shop / graphics editing programs, is not really that much harder than using a photo from site or your equivalent means.
    The way this one was done was using a pre-set, although you can make these yourself also with or without your own selection of leaves modelled and with image maps / textures applied later as you see fit. Seems the effect is vastly different to most of the RPC content I have seen used however, this all comes back to workflow I know.
    regards
    trombe
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bill.231942 View Post
    Jun

what is ecosystem and painting vegetation? is it a part of 3DS or are they seperate packages?

Thanks for your interest guys
    Check this out....
    http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products...e_8.5_xstream/

and click "Vue 8 xStream Demo".

I have been bugging them to include FBX import. So I hope they will get the idea.

Imagine. At the present, Software cost are Revit, 3dsmax and Vue.
    If they include FBX for import. Then, I will just keep Revit and Vue in the future.

This software is cheap. And its a hit among filmmakers also.
    Last edited by Jun Austria; 2010-05-22 at 01:14 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to r.grandmaison's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Looks great. I've always been disappointed with the results of RPCs. They aren't quite realistic enough at times, or they need to be much more cartoonish. I'd love to see someone use the adaptive conceptual mass in 2011 to create randomly generated tree structures that allow the user to seed it with a number to generate different trunk and canopy elements...and then just use an opacity map/leaf material for the canopy.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Austria View Post
    Check this out....
    http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products...e_8.5_xstream/

and click "Vue 8 xStream Demo".

I have been bugging them to include FBX import. So I hope they will get the idea.

Imagine. At the present, Software cost are Revit, 3dsmax and Vue.
    If they include FBX for import. Then, I will just keep Revit and Vue in the future.

This software is cheap. And its a hit among filmmakers also.
    Thanks Jun,

I have looked into it and have downloaded the trial version so if the workflow suits our office work then I will be placing an order as it looks awesome.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by r.grandmaison View Post
    I've always been disappointed with the results of RPCs. They aren't quite realistic enough at times, or they need to be much more cartoonish..
    I talked to a rep at RPC about taking the current content and doing some semi-transparent silhouette versions in black & white. Basically SketchUp stuff, but with 16 views so it is more realistic. I also mentioned this to Autodesk during the beta, suggesting that they should have RPC build them the content and include it as an exclusive Revit feature. RPC said they couldn't be bothered, and Autodesk couldn't be bothered responding.
    I guess the lion's share of stuff being rendered is that bad looking strip mall garbage for which the current RPC content is uniquely suited, and both RPC & Autodesk know it. Sad really.

Gordon