View Poll Results: Do we need the ability to assign circuits to conduits?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope

0 0%
  • Could be useful

6 27.27%
  • I want

8 36.36%
  • I need

7 31.82%
  • I cant live without!

1 4.55%

Thread: [2011] Assign Electrical Circuits to Conduit Runs (OPEN)

Login to Give a bone

Default [2011] Assign Electrical Circuits to Conduit Runs (OPEN)

Now that we have electrical conduit and the ability to measure lengths of conduit runs, It would be beneficial for both voltage drop calculations as well as calculating cable/wire lengths if we could assign circuits to conduit runs. We would need the ability to assign many circuits to each conduit run. This would help out since the length of the wires is just an X,Y,Z offset. This method would override the offset method and change it to the length of the conduit run, allowing a more precise wire length calculation to account for the extra conduit that runs up to the ceiling and down to panels/devices. This would also resolve the length calculation bug when walls are at an angle.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: [2011] Assign Electrical Circuits to Conduit Runs (OPEN)

I voted "I want" because it will be a very useful tool, but is not something that I would put under "required."

That being said, there are very few things which still fall under "required" for electrical development.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I guess it depends on how much conduit you plan on modelling. If you have a 120V circuit running 250ft, and it requires an upgrade to #6w and 3/4"C, are you going to model that 3/4"C? My guess would be no. And I highly doubt you are going to be modelling an 1/2"C. I think it would be useful for larger wire runs, but I have a feeling most voltage drop upsizing is going to be at the smaller wire sizes, where you are not going to want to model the conduit.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: [2011] Assign Electrical Circuits to Conduit Runs (OPEN)

Once I saw that they were adding conduits, I assumed that they would have this feature.

I need this feature because more and more clients are requiring conduit & cable schedules. This would greatly improve the accuracy & time-saving of updating this schedule.

I hope it happens.

Andrew

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Definately would be helpful!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bts View Post
    I guess it depends on how much conduit you plan on modelling. If you have a 120V circuit running 250ft, and it requires an upgrade to #6w and 3/4"C, are you going to model that 3/4"C? My guess would be no. And I highly doubt you are going to be modelling an 1/2"C. I think it would be useful for larger wire runs, but I have a feeling most voltage drop upsizing is going to be at the smaller wire sizes, where you are not going to want to model the conduit.
    I agree with you on this one. Most of the time the contractor is going to run the conduit however they please in the field anyway. We never show conduit runs for this reason. We have done feeder schedules that show wire/conduit size but that is as far as I'd go. If we started to model all the conduits in a job, could you imagine how messy that drawing would get?

Login to Give a bone

I need this. We model the conduit for installation and then manually label them with circuits. Conduits need to be able to be assigned to circuits and retain their distribution system information. Auto population of connected panels/equipment and auto sizing based on conductor sizing/numbers/voltage drop would also be nice.