Thread: Strange Text Issue

Login to Give a bone

Question Strange Text Issue

Hi guys

Attached is a really boring simple couple of details. Labelled 14 and 9a.

This might seem minor but I have a picky boss who is on my case about this:
    Detail 14's text is all "thin" and Detail 9a is all "thick" (no I haven’t got bold turned on)

No matter what I do to it I can’t seem to be able to get it to 9a to match the text of 14.
    The properties are the same; they are on the same dim/text style.
    And even if I delete one of the "thick" pieces of text from its leader and then copy and paste one of the "thin" ones down to it, it then turns "thick". Perhaps something to do with the leader?

I’m used to using multileaders so maybe I just don’t know something about standard leaders.

Any ideas on how I can thin down the whole lot would be much appreciated

Cheers

Corey
    Attached Files Attached Files

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Strange Text Issue

Quote Originally Posted by cchallis View Post
    Hi guys

Attached is a really boring simple couple of details. Labelled 14 and 9a.

This might seem minor but I have a picky boss who is on my case about this:
    Detail 14's text is all "thin" and Detail 9a is all "thick" (no I haven’t got bold turned on)

No matter what I do to it I can’t seem to be able to get it to 9a to match the text of 14.
    The properties are the same; they are on the same dim/text style.
    And even if I delete one of the "thick" pieces of text from its leader and then copy and paste one of the "thin" ones down to it, it then turns "thick". Perhaps something to do with the leader?

I’m used to using multileaders so maybe I just don’t know something about standard leaders.

Any ideas on how I can thin down the whole lot would be much appreciated

Cheers

Corey
    it could be that the text has an elevation. or you could try copying everything and pasting it into a blank drawing.

you could also take a look at this thread

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This is one of several reasons I don't use TTF, but I did d/l your file and if I send the objects on a little trip it clears up the bold issue. What I did was use the move command, select them all, hit enter when asked for displacement, type 0,0,100. Then move, hit enter when asked for displacement, type 0,0,-100.

Flatten.lsp also works but that will probably explode blocks, dims, etc.

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I had exactly the same problem on a set of drawings for a planning submittal. The client was getting bothered by the fact that some of the text appeared bold, while some did not. I think I had to search either here or on autodesk.com for the answer, but I was able to solve it by selecting all the mtext entities and changing their Z coordinates to 0 in the properties palette.

And, if it's only off by a small amount, the properties palette will falsely report the Z coordinate as 0, because its precision is controlled by the UNITS settings. So you have to select the displayed "0" number and replace it by typing in "0" in order to make it exactly 0.

Just another one of AutoCAD's many "gotchas" that make it a PITA to use in an environment where all users don't have 10 or 15+ years of experience with it, and about which Autodesk could care less.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.12445 View Post
    And, if it's only off by a small amount, the properties palette will falsely report the Z coordinate as 0, because its precision is controlled by the UNITS settings. So you have to select the displayed "0" number and replace it by typing in "0" in order to make it exactly 0.
    we have found that in some cases it is actually necessary to type 0.0 in order to make it exactly 0. the other day, we had a title block inserted at 0,3e-15,0 and it was falsly reported as 0,0,0, we typed in 0 in all 3 boxes only to find that it didnt correct the issue. after entering 0.0 in all three boxes, it resolved the issue.
    (only reason title block being at 0,0,0 is an issue, is we have several programs that require title blocks to be inserted at the proper coordinates in order to function.)

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Strange Text Issue

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the replys, i had checked the Z axis geometry and as mentioned it was set to 0.000 but as mentioned it was AutoCAD rounding the number off.

So i have solved that lot by manually re-typing 0.0

Thanks heaps guys!!

Regards
    Corey Challis