Thread: LandXML Sample Files?

I could stop if I wanted to r.grandmaison's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default LandXML Sample Files?

I'd like to see what the Revit Road and Terrain Extension is all about- but need, apparently, a LandXML file that will actually import properly. Does anyone have one they can create or share? Apparently, it's a file type that can be exported from Civil3D or created in other civil applications. When I've tried to import the few I've found on the web, I get an error that some of the segments are not attached or defined properly and it bombs out.

As an aside, I think that Revit REALLY needs some major development in the Civil arena- we really need to be able to do smooth pavement/surfaces and basic things like sidewalks, gutters, curbs, roadways more easily than we currently do. These things, really, are just as much a part of the REAL BIM as are walls, floors, roofs, etc...

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: LandXML Sample Files?

Agreed. Revit site tools are very poor and have not been touched in many years.
    I have not tried to use files generated by Civil 3D in Revit yet, and I believe there is a new ADSK file extension for this purpose.

Landcadd for Revit seems to be the only glimmer of hope for Revit's poor old site tools,
    although the $1,000 plus price tag is not an easy pill to swallow.

I created a quite stir with a "Revit Site" thread a while back--and I still think it's a valid concept, despite all the objections.

We have Revit Architecture, Revit MEP, Revit Structure--why not Revit Site as well?
    The main objection from architects was that I suggested it as a new separate package,
    which you would have to purchase, and that the ****** old site tools would be removed
    from RAC al together, being replaced by a new much superior and dedicated Site BIM product.

Or--just make the current Site Tools in RAC work as well or better that LandCadd for Revit.
    LOL

cheers

I could stop if I wanted to r.grandmaison's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LandXML Sample Files?

Yeah, I'd rather see development dollars go into Site issues than Solar issues...

I need curbs, gutters, swales, landscape, sidewalks, roads more than I need a solar radiation analysis...

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: LandXML Sample Files?

I concur. Revit's Site tools need major attention and priority over ribbons, solar analysis, and others--although I appreciate the need fr those tools as well.

We always model the site, and struggle with sloping curbs, parking stalls which cantilever
    out over sloped parking areas, pads and subregions not working as expected, and especially poor performance on sites any larger than a couple of hundred parking spaces.

The subregions for paved and grass areas and parkings stalls become almost impossible
    to manage on large sites--we sometimes have literally thousands of spaces in our parking areas--and driveways which meander over 100s of acres of land.

I hope the Factory begins to focus on providing BIM for site manipulation with tools which architects and designers can use in Revit--not defaulting back to the "just use Civil 3D" response-- I have never met a single architect/firm who actually uses Civil 3D for site planning/modeling. It's hard enough to find Civil engineers who actually use it effectively.

LOL

cheers