Thread: Fatal error + recovery file =/= crash?

Login to Give a bone

Default Fatal error + recovery file =/= crash?

I just had a message pop up saying a fatal error had occurred, and it let me save my file with "Recovery" at the end, but it didn't boot me out. It let me continue working, at which point I saved my changes back to the Central file, closed out, and then opened the Central file again to create a new local file.

Is this new behavior in 2011 such that fatal errors don't kick you out? That's pretty cool.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fatal error + recovery file =/= crash?

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    I just had a message pop up saying a fatal error had occurred, and it let me save my file with "Recovery" at the end, but it didn't boot me out. It let me continue working, at which point I saved my changes back to the Central file, closed out, and then opened the Central file again to create a new local file.

Is this new behavior in 2011 such that fatal errors don't kick you out? That's pretty cool.
    Nah, I'm guessing that you were just lucky.

I have had only one fatal error, it did let me save - thankfully!! But then it quietly went to bed for a quick nap. Restart, everything is fine.

Ian

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I am having problems with Revit just bombing out.

Autodesk have been most helpful.

My result was if Revit needs more RAM than is available then it just closes. You do not get any notice.

I do not specifically know the answer to your question but it makes sense to me that if Revit is using a certain portion of RAM and knows it is about to use more than you have then perhaps the nice people at Autodesk have programmed in a warning.

Login to Give a bone

A fatal error with option to save is not a memory issue, I'm pretty sure. Every version of Revit on every operating system I've ever used has had a fatal error from time to time (some a lot more than others). I just thought it was interesting this time that after saving the recovery file it just let me keep working instead of closing the program.

But yes when you run out of memory it just blinks out with no warning. This happens with any program, but it's almost always on a 32-bit OS, or a 64-bit OS with not enough memory installed. It has never happened to me since I installed 16 GB RAM on my machine.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rjcrowther View Post
    I am having problems with Revit just bombing out.

Autodesk have been most helpful.

My result was if Revit needs more RAM than is available then it just closes. You do not get any notice.

I do not specifically know the answer to your question but it makes sense to me that if Revit is using a certain portion of RAM and knows it is about to use more than you have then perhaps the nice people at Autodesk have programmed in a warning.
    My company's build is 32bit XP, Some models only give me 20 minutes use of revit before it ''disappears'', huge pain in the....
    happens a lot when doing In place families, voids etc etc..
    Does it on a 150MB file or even a 10MB file.

Worth pointing out that i never had this in 2009, only 2010!! (and if you use the debug.ini file to turn 2010 into 2009 UI, you also dont get this issue so often).

64bit is Autodesks answer as they claim its complex models that cause an out of memory crash, not the fact they programmed the ribbon with lots of memory leaks......slander..)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by padgham.graeme View Post
    My company's build is 32bit XP, Some models only give me 20 minutes use of revit before it ''disappears'', huge pain in the....
    happens a lot when doing In place families, voids etc etc..
    Does it on a 150MB file or even a 10MB file.

Worth pointing out that i never had this in 2009, only 2010!! (and if you use the debug.ini file to turn 2010 into 2009 UI, you also dont get this issue so often).

64bit is Autodesks answer as they claim its complex models that cause an out of memory crash, not the fact they programmed the ribbon with lots of memory leaks......slander..)
    Got the 3GB switch activated? That should cure most memory issues in 32-bit Revit on files less than 60-80 MB in size.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Got the 3GB switch activated? That should cure most memory issues in 32-bit Revit on files less than 60-80 MB in size.
    Yes,
    3GB switch activated (although not actually sure you need it after SP3, but i stand corrected)
    Revit bombs out when it gets near 1.6GB of memory useage, I work for a large company (30,000+people), so they have one build for all, which doesnt assist the CAD users.
    There is a lot of other resident software/apps running which eat up the valuable spare memory.

I have found that it strangely isnt to do with file size, which is odd. As i said earlier, i have worked on a complex architectual model of 130MB with minimal crashes (get a few hours use)
    Then working on a small Structural model (around 10MB), with quite a few complex steelwork items etc (lots of inplace models, voids, sweeps), and it crashes a lot,

IT working on a windows 7 64bit clone, may be ready for release 2020......