Thread: Interior Rendering - Glare and Hot Spots

Login to Give a bone

Default Interior Rendering - Glare and Hot Spots

Hi,

This is my first interior rendering and was looking for some suggestions to fix the glare and hot spots on the walls and appliances.

I renderered this on quality setting BEST (with daylight portal for window) and output of 300 DPI.

Scheme is EXTERIOR:SUN ONLY and Sun is SUNLIGHT FROM TOP TO LEFT, CINCINNATI, OH 5:30 PM

Exposure control:
    EXPOSURE VALUE: 6
    HIGHLIGHTS: .2
    MID TONES: 1.25
    SHADOWS: 0.1
    WHITE POINT - 4,000
    SATURATION - 1

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Interior Rendering - Glare and Hot Spots

Hi,

someone else will probably have a clean fast precise answer......however
    This looks like you are seeking a day shot on a bright sunny day but with no interior / artificial lighting on.

I think this shot is over exposed even for a mid summer day in the burbs and, obviously you have an issue with the wall linings etc.
    I think you should begin by turning down the exposure value by up to 2 points, possibly by up to 1.5 and slip the white point value to about 6,500 .

Take a look at what you think, your real world wall linings could be..are they painted ? and roughly is your colour value correct or even on the same value spectrum ? Try going in and looking at the values for your chosen paint colour and adjusting the Finish values for instance and look at whether you can get more return by changing the setting from brush to roller etc.
    Basically you want to improve the density and refraction values for the wall and ceiling surfaces without undue over-exposure. Your setting of 300 dpi and BEST and using daylight portals will normally produce a significantly higher quality than shown

The other thing to manage is blurry reflections settings for a start... in the Render Dialogue, under Quality_Settings, in the drop down box, look at Edit and scroll through those settings for some critical adjustments and you can save them out as Custom or basically over ride the defaults (for this file only of course).

Don't know what hardware you have, but try and avoid bumping up the indirect illumination options too much...a little is useful but a lot will not yield a huge result but will increase render times significantly. Actually many of these settings can be tweaked small amounts but I personally only value their use in direct connection with the first level adjustments to the base material itself because otherwise you are trying to throw brute force at the problem to overcome shortfalls with the ability of a material to absorb, reflect or refract light and that will only usually result in a long render time for less value at the other end.

good luck
    trombe

Login to Give a bone

Trombe,

Could you give a little more guidance on how to deal with the wall and ceiling finish? This is something I can't seem to get a handle on. Also, I changed the (2) values you recommended in adjust exposure and its already made a difference.

Thanks for your help.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Hi shullmw,

good stuff glad you have been able to move forward sorry if this was not immediate..I was trying to get a job out the door !!
    In terms of the ceiling / wall finishes...there are several things you can look at overall, but some of the base stuff has to do with selecting the colours you need for your client swatch boards if that is appropriate (getting your manufacturers colours in RGB values is a good start but unfortunately, no guarantee of Revit success in matching these values up to what your printer can print out !!) or. if you have free range right now one approach is to start with a base / test colour as below.

You will see that most people recommend using no setting above High for quality because while the Best is laudable, frankly, it takes a stupid amount of time and that was no doubt an ingredient into why they finally allowed us to have access to all the cores on our machines. That viewpoint aside, bang for your buck, High should really do the job and then your dpi settings. If you have a double quad machine go for broke mate but otherwise I'd say 450-600 dpi odd should be well enough with the right broader settings and then you will get the render out in a decent time. Some people swear 300 is enough.

You will see that the Wall Paint selections in the Protein 2 Materials library has almost no choices to select for edits as they have presumably biased the output so you don't have to worry about it.
    My choice is to Duplicate the material you are using it for say like Plasterboard, and then Replace the wall paint for a Generic Material.
    Now you have options to edit reflectivity, self emittance etc. that are not available in the default wall paint. This allows you to experiment with your own scene and needs.
    You can just select the colour / color 255-255-255 = White and start off with a very small amount of emittance like 5 or even 3 and a very low value for reflection - no more than 5 because in some other programs even small amounts of these two values have a noticeable effect right away and under the right conditions, will do here.

This is the place I think you should start from to start increasing the reflection and emittance values slightly until you see there is too much reflection as you don't want unwanted reflections from the lights overhead bouncing into the stairwell.
    (I should say that the idea here is to avoid having lights in the scene that you do not want that could be unexpected in the real world conditon and that your client might balk at).
    Try this can come back with how this worked for you after getting rid of the (biased ?) default wall paints setup.
    cheers
    trombe
    Last edited by trombe; 2010-06-15 at 08:05 AM. Reason: content

Login to Give a bone

Here's how.

Change the colour of the background. Instead of using the Sky use a background colour or image. If choosing background colour use a very light sky blue. When you render the sky doesn't appear as bright and it will be more blue.
    Also, render using a time in winter months in late afternoon or early morning. And adjust the highlight so it's at 0, or close to 0.