See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: External Reference

Login to Give a bone

Default External Reference

I am trying to create interior elevations for a drawing that is a external reference. When I try to create elevations, I just get the outside walls--not want is inside the walls.

Since, it is an external reference it won't explode. If I can explode it, how is it done? Or is there another way to get interior elevations?

I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2008. Below is a attachment of the drawing I am trying to get interior elevations.

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: External Reference

Are you saying you want to create an elevation/section from a file containing an xref but you don't want to show all the objects and you are unable to pick individual objects or remove objects from the selection set due to the fact it's an xref?

Which objects do you want to omit? I really would look at using either layers to turn the unwanted objects off or use display configurations to only show what you want, and avoid exploding at all costs.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jdkehl View Post
    I am trying to create interior elevations for a drawing that is a external reference. When I try to create elevations, I just get the outside walls--not want is inside the walls.

Since, it is an external reference it won't explode. If I can explode it, how is it done? Or is there another way to get interior elevations?

I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2008. Below is a attachment of the drawing I am trying to get interior elevations.

Thank you!
    First, if you exploded the Xref, it wouldn't be 3D anymore so the section wouldn't work.

Second, the UCS is a custom one. Change it to world UCS (by clicking the UCS icon under the view cube) and then generate the section. It worked for me that way.

What's up H'angus! Where you been?
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    What's up H'angus! Where you been?
    Hey Dan, I'm good thanks, I keep popping in for a visit every now and then but just don't have as much time to play as I used to.

I hear you've been spending more time with the family, or learning Revit, one of the two

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by H'Angus View Post
    Hey Dan, I'm good thanks, I keep popping in for a visit every now and then but just don't have as much time to play as I used to.

I hear you've been spending more time with the family, or learning Revit, one of the two
    lol Revit is my family now.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your assistance. It works for shower elevation, but it not working for the sink and toilet elevation. It is not cutting a section and I do not know why.

I am attaching the elevation of the toilet and sink. If you view it in the back 3D views you will see it not cutting--you see the whole bathroom.

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your assistance. It works for shower elevation, but it not working for the sink and toilet elevation. It is not cutting a section and I do not know why.

I am attaching the elevation of the toilet and sink. If you view it in the back 3D views you will see it not cutting--you see the whole bathroom.

Thank you!
    In order to get it to cut in a live 3D view, select the section lines, right click, and choose "enable live section". You can also disable it if you don't want to view the section in 3D anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thank you! This was helpful.

Just want to know how you got the rendering to stay. All of my rendering leaves--why is that?

Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you! This was helpful.

Just want to know how you got the rendering to stay. All of my rendering leaves--why is that?

Thank you.
    What do you mean? I just set the view to the "realistic" visual style. I didn't actually render it.

If you are talking about an actual rendering, once you render it, you will see the rendering and the name below it. Right click on the name and select save (or save copy), and save it as a JPG or PNG or whatever you need. I usually use JPG. Then you just open it in any picture viewer.