Thread: AutoCAD Not Responding

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD Not Responding

I am using AutoCAD Map 3d 2011 and certain image files will hang my system up and I will be unable to make changes to the drawing without first getting the image turned off. Is there a setting I can change or a raster add on to get things flowing better. I have a new operating system and an upgraded graphix card.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD Not Responding

Quote Originally Posted by terke.266641 View Post
    I am using AutoCAD Map 3d 2011 and certain image files will hang my system up and I will be unable to make changes to the drawing without first getting the image turned off. Is there a setting I can change or a raster add on to get things flowing better. I have a new operating system and an upgraded graphix card.
    Congrats on your first post, and welcome to the forums!

There may be a better way, but what my company does as a standard practice, is to create a master drawing for each aerial, or image needed for a given project. Then we XREF said raster drawing into any drawings necessary. This *should* allow your system to run more smoothly.

Note - If this process is still too cumbersome, due to the large image you're using, consider splitting up the image file into several adjacent images, each being in its own drawing to be XREFed.

Hope this helps!
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Is the hang consistent with image types? any differences if you convert from TIF to PNG, or even .JPG?

The problem with the nested 'image in an xref' approach is the lack of control in the final sheets. It's impossible to use the image controls to fade an image when it's nested, or change the brightness/contrast values. And I'll often need the same imagery displayed differently in different sheets, eg overall layout vs detailed intersection drawings. As long as everyone editing understands just what georeferencing means, it's more efficient IMHO to attach, detach, load and unload as needed.

Really a pain working remotely when the last user of the file left that monster image xref attached, and all the images loaded. It would be nice if you could _choose_ the references to be loaded when opening a drawing, instead of having to wait to open the drawing across a WAN link to learn that it's to slow to work with.

Login to Give a bone

The image files are sids aerials. I will try to convert them, to the other types, thanks for your ideas and support.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Is the hang consistent with image types? any differences if you convert from TIF to PNG, or even .JPG?

The problem with the nested 'image in an xref' approach is the lack of control in the final sheets. It's impossible to use the image controls to fade an image when it's nested, or change the brightness/contrast values. And I'll often need the same imagery displayed differently in different sheets, eg overall layout vs detailed intersection drawings. As long as everyone editing understands just what georeferencing means, it's more efficient IMHO to attach, detach, load and unload as needed.
    Aboslutely that makes a difference. In my workflow, rasters are only used for initial project layout, and exhibits. Not for final production sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Really a pain working remotely when the last user of the file left that monster image xref attached, and all the images loaded. It would be nice if you could _choose_ the references to be loaded when opening a drawing, instead of having to wait to open the drawing across a WAN link to learn that it's to slow to work with.
    Yeah that would suck.

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: AutoCAD Not Responding

I may be in the wrong forum but I am trying to get to the right one. Could someone please direct me to how I get to the right forums or threads? I have a very SLOW dwg file.

I am new to AUGI and can't find my way around! I have a question about a VERY SLOW FILE. How do I find a post or a thread about this situation?

I am running AutoCAD Architectural Desktop (ADT) and am running Win. XP Pro. Serv. pack 3, 3.2 GHZ, 2.75 G ram. All other AutoCAD ADT files run normal speed. i have Wblocked out all parts of the drawing to a new blank file and problem persists.

Can you help me to get to where I can ask this question?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lorys_lea View Post
    I may be in the wrong forum but I am trying to get to the right one. Could someone please direct me to how I get to the right forums or threads? I have a very SLOW dwg file.

I am new to AUGI and can't find my way around! I have a question about a VERY SLOW FILE. How do I find a post or a thread about this situation?

I am running AutoCAD Architectural Desktop (ADT) and am running Win. XP Pro. Serv. pack 3, 3.2 GHZ, 2.75 G ram. All other AutoCAD ADT files run normal speed. i have Wblocked out all parts of the drawing to a new blank file and problem persists.

Can you help me to get to where I can ask this question?
    Perhaps one of these forums will help:

AutoCAD Architecture/AutoCAD MEP (ACA/AMEP)

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

I will try it. Thank you very much.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lorys_lea View Post
    I will try it. Thank you very much.
    Anytime... and welcome to the forums!

Computer Specs: