See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Architect request to use work plane only

Login to Give a bone

Default Architect request to use work plane only

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of guidance from MEP users that are more experienced than I (which is most of you). We are working on our first major project using REVIT and the project Architect has requested that all services place fixtures, sprinkler heads, light switches etc on work planes only and not on Architectural model faces EG no sprinkler heads on ceilings but on separate work planes. Fixtures not on walls but amend them to be plane based. My understanding for this directive is so that the Architect can delete walls, ceilings etc without it having an effect on services items that have been placed on them.

Is this something that happens often on projects? Does this not partly defeat the purpose of using REVIT?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Architect request to use work plane only

Hey Ben, while I haven't worked with any "outside" architects while working in Revit, I have never been instructed to not host equipment on ceilings or walls. I would think that the only time you would want to use a plane to host equipment would be if you were linking the architectural model but even in that case if you have Face-Hosted families available to use that would be the way to go. Furthermore if they are telling you do use planes because they want to be able to eliminate walls and ceilings at will it certainly wouldn't make sense to have equipment hosted to a plane in an area where a ceiling or wall no longer exists (other then make it completely obvious that the ceiling or wall no longer exists). The only time I have ever used a plane to host equipment was early on in my Revit experiences and didn't feel comfortable modifying the family to lower it (light or ceiling diffuser) in order for it to hang below the ceiling to be visible in a 3D view or Navisworks walkthrough.

The only suggestion I would make is to get a clear explanation from the architect as to why that is being requested, knowing the workflow that a "typical" MEP project should follow. Hope this helps........a little.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ben.228889 View Post
    My understanding for this directive is so that the Architect can delete walls, ceilings etc without it having an effect on services items that have been placed on them.

Is this something that happens often on projects? Does this not partly defeat the purpose of using REVIT?
    IF they wan't you to use ref/work planes because they want to be able to delete walls and or ceilings without any consideration to your model, then they might not fully understand the purpose of Revit? I mean, if they wan't to move or change the wall type, they can do so. They want to change the ceiling's height or it's boundaries? They can do it without deleting it.

Like Eric said, I think you should try and clarify why they asked you to do this in the first place.

Please let us know their answer

Login to Give a bone

I actually prefer this workflow as it gives control back to the engineer. In some instances a ceiling was moved and next time you load up you have a bunch of "duct is in opposite direction" warnings and disconnections. What people usually don't realize is that you can always LOCK a worklplane to a ceiling if you want it to move with the ceiling, and if the ceiling is deleted it still is hosted to your workplane.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the responses. We will proceed wth this method and see how we go.

Thanks again