Thread: volume calcs with residential roofs

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default volume calcs with residential roofs

we have a neighborhood which requires volume calculations. i need to be able to calculate the volume of the typical residential roofs and attic space with all of the crazy hips and gables etc. i also need to be able to establish a grade line as defined by the neighborhood board and calculate the foundation/basement volume above grade.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: volume calcs with residential roofs

Quote Originally Posted by shenderson View Post
    we have a neighborhood which requires volume calculations. i need to be able to calculate the volume of the typical residential roofs and attic space with all of the crazy hips and gables etc. i also need to be able to establish a grade line as defined by the neighborhood board and calculate the foundation/basement volume above grade.
    Try creating a level & plan for the roof level and place a room called attic or something. Run a filter to remove all other rooms and then you should have your calcs. Just make sure that the room extents is beyond your roof object. Try starting out with a flat roof to make sure the calc is working. Once you verify all is well, then proceed to slope your roofs. I would then repeat the process for the above grade basement. If roofs don't work for the volume, try using a sloped ceiling

To me this sounds like overkill on the neighborhood's part. How would someone do it by hand and even come close? That would be a lot of geometry & math. Do you mind if I ask where this is?

Hope this helps,
    Jeff S.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

thanks for your input.

the neighborhood is Belle Meade in Nashville Tennessee. In the past we've had to do a ton of volume calculations by hand. it's tedious to say the least, and as i'm sure you know, the design is continually evolving and tracking the volume calcs is a nightmare.

i've never run into this kind of thing anywhere else in my 18 years of designing but it is what it is. i was hoping i was missing something in the massing or roof tools that would help me out.

Login to Give a bone

Oh yeah, Belle Meade... that area is a little "uppity" about that kind of stuff

<-- did my architecture internship at GS&P in Nashville

As for roof volume, the volume reported for a roof is merely the volume contained within the actual solid itself, i.e. the roof area times the thickness of the roof structure. It does not calculate the volume under roof.

A room object can be used to calculate the volume, as long as your room and area calculation settings are set to calculate volume. By default it does not, I believe. Check Room & Area Computations under the Room & Area portion of the Home ribbon.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

we've (thanks daniel) come up with a method of using rooms to get the volume calcs the way this neighborhood wants them.

still don't have it perfected but it's working better than trying to make a bunch of masses. i kept getting errors after the massing got complicated by trying follow natural grade.

so here's what we are doing....
    1. walls floors and roof are all not room bounding.

2. to calculate the volume to the outside face of walls - use room separation lines

3. to calculate volume to the top of roof surface - copy roof and change it to a 'volume cap' roof that is very thin (1/8") and make it room bounding and move and lock it to the top of the actual roof.

4. to calculate volume to the natural grade - create a 'volume grade' floor that follows the fall of natural grade and make that room bounding.

that gives us the building volume.

then we have to calculate the volume of all hardscape that is more than 3 feet above grade. i know, it's crazy. so i copy my 'volume grade' floor up 3' and change it to 'volume grade 2' and make it not room bounding. create a view where i can see this floor cutting through the hardscape volumes; trace what is above with room separation lines; pull the room down to the grade and up passed the wall caps which i've copied and made into volume caps similar to a roof. the issue i'm having here is that it does not always want to constrain the volume to the grade or caps as i pull it up or down. if anyone has any idea as to why i'd be grateful. i'm wondering if it's just too complicated to follow the grade. since it works more often than not i'm hoping it's operator error and i'm just missing something in the way i've set the room limits.

does your head hurt? mine does.

so here is a question... is there anyway to make the topography 'room bounding'. that would save me a ton of time. or maybe create a floor by picking the topo drape? i know i'm reaching here.