Thread: X-brace plan representation as an "X"

Login to Give a bone

Default X-brace plan representation as an "X"

Does anyone know how to make a vertical x-brace (spans between 2 columns and floor to roof) show up in plan as an "X" that looks like "old fashioned" x-braces?

I hate the appearance of the generic revit brace symbol and we prefer not to use the parallel line brace symbol as it tends to get missed.

This is driving me nuts, please help.
    Thanks,
    Bill.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: X-brace plan representation as an "X"

Quote Originally Posted by billn View Post
    Does anyone know how to make a vertical x-brace (spans between 2 columns and floor to roof) show up in plan as an "X" that looks like "old fashioned" x-braces?

I hate the appearance of the generic revit brace symbol and we prefer not to use the parallel line brace symbol as it tends to get missed.

This is driving me nuts, please help.
    Thanks,
    Bill.
    As far as I know, you should have the "X" symbol if you have X-bracing. I'm not working in Revit currently but have taken a class in it, and just referred to the book for Revit Structure 2010. There are two symbols: "Parallel-line brace symbol" and "Sloped-line brace symbol". It sounds like you're seeing the "Parallel" one and should see the "Sloped" one.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Ted,

The book reference I have shows 4 generic symbols, I actually get 2 of the lines with a squigle at the end if I draw 2 full height braces, and they start at the columns instead of the middle as shown in the book.

We are getting the generic symbol all the time, but the only other option is to use the parallel line symbol, which we don't like.

Bill.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The symbol is just a family loaded in and assigned in the structural properties for your project.

Check your structural settings, see what annotation family is loaded in for brace below and or above

Edit the family, and sketch in the symbology you want. To acheive a 'X' style symbol in plan you just need to rotate the M_Connection-Brace-Parallel.rfa family and mirror the line to suit

Login to Give a bone

I've come across this problem and would also like a generic symbol. Having said that, you can get the X like the previous posters have stated. "HOWEVER" it depends on how you model your bracing. If your bracing on a typical floor starts from the center of a beam and goes toward the columns to the floor above and the floor below, then you get an X representation. If your bracing on a typical floor starts at the coulmns and goes up and down, you get V's at the columns. I know, its a P.I.T.A. I have resorted to drawing my own bracing X's with lines and turning off the bracing symbols.

Login to Give a bone

Revit does not have the ability to show anything other than the default Parallel line (where did they come up with this for a brace symbol?) and the alternate angled line with the squiggle break on the end. HOWEVER, you can edit the brace symbol and I am about to do just that. Nobody likes the out of the box brace symbols it seems...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

You can add as many symbols as you like for many connection and bracing variables now.

Just create a new symbol, and load that in.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, I finally had a bit of time to play around with this and found a way to have revit draw an 'X' symbol for my braces.

It isn't entirely automatic, but it works and it works perfect!

The solution is as follows:
    1. Ignore Revit's brace symbol feature by turning it off altogether.
    2. I opened the family of a type of brace I wanted to use (round bar in this case) and saved it as a new family (x-brace round bar)
    3. In the plan ref level of the family, I drew offset lines to confine the 'X' symbol.
    4. Using dimensions, I locked the reference lines where I wanted them - 8" from the column centerlines at each end and 18" width for the brace symbol.
    5. I also created a paramater to allow me to adjust the distance the brace symbol is offset from the grid line.
    6. I then drew an 'X' between my 4 reference lines using a symbolic line set as "stick symbol - projection"
    7. Then I saved and loaded it into my project.
    8. The only flaw is that it draws the 'X' on either side of the grid, but there is a work around - simply select the 'X' that is in the wrong place and click the direction arrow to flip the start and end locations.
    9. The brace symbol shows up everywhere, but can be managed using visibility graphics and turning of the structural framing stick symbols.

Now I have a rod x-brace that appears correct in the model and on the plotted drawings and works properly and can be loaded into other models.
    For HSS braces, I created another brace family from the HSS family.

I decided to upload it here for anyone to copy and use, manipulate and modify as needed or just as a learning tool.
    Attached Files Attached Files