Thread: can’t see Phase 1 rooms when view is Phase 2

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default can’t see Phase 1 rooms when view is Phase 2

I’ve got two phases, both phases have walls that were created in that phase and rooms that were created in that phase, nothing demolished.

I can’t see the rooms that were created in phase 1 when the view is set to phase 2.

I tried changing the phase filter to show complete or show all, I can see the walls of both phases but I can only see the rooms of the current phase.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: can’t see Phase 1 rooms when view is Phase 2

The rooms, or the annotation of the rooms?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

both the room and annotation of the room
    (the view is set to a colour scheme, so I can't see the coloured rooms also)

I should have also mentioned that the walls and rooms are grouped (multi storey building) so I don't know if this has something to do with it..

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Rooms are only visible in the phase that they are created in. This is to avoid room clashes when e.g. a partition between two Existing rooms is removed in the Proposed phase. You should copy and Paste in Place the Existing rooms in the Proposed phase.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah, this is still brutal. Rooms NEED to be multi-phase aware. If the whole room doesnt get "demolished" in a later phase, but a new wall cuts it in half, show half of its formerly reported SF as demolished in a schedule. We have rooms with intelligent origins to declare which portion to hold to, this should be fixable.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I see the rational for this in a renovation project, but what I have here is all new construction, it will just be built over two stages, east tower will be built first, then west tower in phase 2..
    so really all my floor plans need to show both phases (rooms and all), but in my 3d views I need to control the visibility of tower 1 & tower 2 per view.. so I can show the two phases..

so what is the best way to do this, it seems phases is not the best tool for this..
    I was also thinking of worksets, but I don't know if that is the right aproach..

Login to Give a bone

Phases aren't really meant to show construction sequencing. If this will really be built in separate phases (separate contracts or at separate times, or both) then yes, phases should be used for this.

We have a current project with some renovation and new construction spanning FOUR phases. We had to create a "Final Presentation Phase" after all the other phases in order to show the color floor plans correctly. Simply copy/paste same place the room elements and tags from your earlier phase to your later phase as was mentioned earlier. Since you're not dealing with any existing/demolished construction, it should be pretty straight forward in your case.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

copying and pasting might not be very wise in my particular case since this is still early design so rooms will change a lot and I don't want the duplication at this point.

for my current purpose I might end up with view overrides on the "phase 2 tower" without actually using phases..

I understand the rationalle for all this but it would be good if we had the ability to show rooms of previous phases as a filter option for cases like this..

thank your for all your great responses..

Login to Give a bone

Yes, being still early on I would probably just do it all in one phase, also. Once you get things more nailed down, you can start separating things out into phases if you need to. But being relatively simple with only 2 phases of new construction and no existing renovation or demolition, view filters and/or graphic overrides may end up being the simplest option for you.

Since 2011 introduced Worksets as a valid filter parameter, you could easily set up each phase of construction on a separate workset and then set up filters to only show the items on a particular workset in each view, or not show items on a particular workset in each view.