See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Need input on some families we are creating

Login to Give a bone

Smile Need input on some families we are creating

Hello Everybody

We are in the process of creating some window and door families and was wondering if you could take a look at the sample and let me know what you think about how we are going to handle the details in plan/section view...
    This family is nothing like what the final model will be like. It is just a kind of "mock-up" sample to illustrate the use of the detail component plan/section which will appear only in a fine view.

I am not a full time Revit user nor do I use the families that we will create in an actual architectural setting, so your input is extremely valuable to me!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Need input on some families we are creating

I think what you have generated is fine in concept. I've used the same approach pertaining to detail components in families for a high level of detail without a lot of added memory.

You will want to embed detail components of different dimensions for the varying dimensions of the window, though. Or you can make your detail component parametric and control it via the window type parameters. I used the parametric approach, and it works great. For example, if your window family has a parameter to lengthen the jamb extension, the detail component would also lengthen based on the same parameter control.

Overall, good start.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Need input on some families we are creating

Quote Originally Posted by sarah.auffet View Post
    I think what you have generated is fine in concept. I've used the same approach pertaining to detail components in families for a high level of detail without a lot of added memory.

You will want to embed detail components of different dimensions for the varying dimensions of the window, though. Or you can make your detail component parametric and control it via the window type parameters. I used the parametric approach, and it works great. For example, if your window family has a parameter to lengthen the jamb extension, the detail component would also lengthen based on the same parameter control.

Overall, good start.
    Thanks a lot Sarah for your input - I think that we will use the "detail component parametric and control it via the window type parameters” it makes a lot of sense to do it this way
    Have a wonderful day