Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centerline Symbol - Font

Login to Give a bone

Default Centerline Symbol - Font

Our Standard font is SansSerif. When using the insert symbol pull down from MTEXT (or Unicode \U+2104), the symbol always defaults to ISOCPEUR. (I understand that SansSerif does not have this symbol so it uses a default font that has this symbol) I do not like the look of this symbol in ISOCPEUR font when its with SansSerif or the fact that it is compressed in height, I would much prefer the centerline symbol from ROMANS.

I have searched many forums and have not found that there is a way to specify what font to use when inserting a symbol. Does anybody know how to do this? I suspect I can delete the ISOCPEUR font from everybody's computer forcing it to go down the line to ROMANS but I don't like that solution. I also know that the Options > Files Tab > Text Editor, Dictionary and Font File Names > Alternate Font File variable does not appear to effect the symbol font.

I thought to look at the MTEXT pull down toolbar definition for the insert symbol command to see if the font is embedded into that command, but I didnt' have any luck down that path.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can dictate that our symbols are inserted within text as ROMANS instead of ISOCPEUR?

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Centerline Symbol - Font

This thread may shed some light (or add more darkness) on the use of shx/ttf fonts in the mtext editor.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I think throwing oily mud over the light source is close to what that thread does . It makes me scared of using text at all!

I'm sorry to say I can't find anything anywhere which has ISOCPEUR as a setting. Either in the AutoCAD folders (both programs & user) or in registry. So it must be hardwired somewhere, so you can't change this behaviour

Only solutions I can think of:
    • Use a different font which does have the centre line symbol, such as Romans.
    • Change the c/l symbol's font each time you add it.
    • Have the ℄ of your choice (together with some other symbols) in a Word document and copy-n-paste from there into MText.
    • Modify / duplicate the font using some TTF font editor (google this) to include the character. This is not recommended as it causes problems with others and it may have licensing issues.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

BTW, there are some TTF fonts which do have the CL symbol: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...ontsupport.htm

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

we had the same problem with using Arial as our standard font. I was able to use FontForge to add a symbol to the arial font. I dont know about the windows version, but the linux version is open source (free).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill View Post
    we had the same problem with using Arial as our standard font. I was able to use FontForge to add a symbol to the arial font. I dont know about the windows version, but the linux version is open source (free).
    I sincerely hope you renamed your version of Arial to something else. It's a right pain in the elbow for other people who do not have the same 'tweaks' to deal with modified standard fonts. At least with a rename the recipients will be able to know that somethings not right - without the file rename there will just be bogus characters when they look at the drawing, and that's awfully easy to miss.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    I sincerely hope you renamed your version of Arial to something else. It's a right pain in the elbow for other people who do not have the same 'tweaks' to deal with modified standard fonts. At least with a rename the recipients will be able to know that somethings not right - without the file rename there will just be bogus characters when they look at the drawing, and that's awfully easy to miss.
    I second that! You could of course use the Arial MS Unicode font ... but then, it's a bit much seeing as the TTF file is about 22MB (containing even Japanese, Chinese, etc. characters).

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    yes, I did rename it

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by miles9x View Post
    Our Standard font is SansSerif. When using the insert symbol pull down from MTEXT (or Unicode \U+2104), the symbol always defaults to ISOCPEUR. (I understand that SansSerif does not have this symbol so it uses a default font that has this symbol) I do not like the look of this symbol in ISOCPEUR font when its with SansSerif or the fact that it is compressed in height, I would much prefer the centerline symbol from ROMANS.

I have searched many forums and have not found that there is a way to specify what font to use when inserting a symbol. Does anybody know how to do this? I suspect I can delete the ISOCPEUR font from everybody's computer forcing it to go down the line to ROMANS but I don't like that solution. I also know that the Options > Files Tab > Text Editor, Dictionary and Font File Names > Alternate Font File variable does not appear to effect the symbol font.

I thought to look at the MTEXT pull down toolbar definition for the insert symbol command to see if the font is embedded into that command, but I didnt' have any luck down that path.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can dictate that our symbols are inserted within text as ROMANS instead of ISOCPEUR?

Thanks.
    open options, go to files, +open "Text Editor, Dictionary, and Font File Names", +open "Alternate Font File", click the current font (most likely simplex) and change to RomanS. Centerline symbol will now default to what you're wanting.
    Last edited by dwbearden; 2012-06-06 at 05:28 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dwbearden View Post
    open options, go to files, +open "Text Editor, Dictionary, and Font File Names", +open "Alternate Font File", click the current font (most likely simplex) and change to RomanS. Centerline symbol will now default to what you're wanting.

dwbearden,
    I'm afraid changing the alternate font file does not work.
    I have been chasing a fix for this for months now and according
    to autodesk it is not possible. They did suggest changing a registry key
    but this did not work.
    They have said that they will add the ability to change this to the wish list.
    Regards
    JohnB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast