Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2011 Central File - Local Copy Issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2011 Central File - Local Copy Issues

Well I'm at wits end...our resellers are trying to get a grasp on this also...But here it goes a hail mary...

When we create a new project, add worksets and turn it into a central file...we get get errors after a short perios of time. Revit will tell us the project has moved from a UNC path to a drive letter path (we don't use UNC) and then later down the road from a UNC path to a UNC path using an IP address instead of server name. All locations are technically the correct spot because the file hasn't moved.

Along with this users lose the ability to "create new local copy". The option is grayed out. This hapeens on every single project.
    Last edited by chris.klinert; 2010-07-07 at 01:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2011 Central File - Local Copy Issues

Please give us more information on the type of network and servers you use in your office. What type of network? What type of servers? Where are the central files stored? Do you have a domain set up in the office? How do workstations connect to the servers? Do you use any login scripts that run when a user logs into the domain to map drive letters, etc?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Be sure that all workstations are finding the network the same way. Revit is very particular about file pathing and we have had issues when one user was browsing the network via UNC paths verses the rest using a mapped drive location. There have even been some issues when one user has a network drive simply mapped as a different letter than standard, i.e. everone is mapped to the P:\ drive and one person remapped it to be W:\

Login to Give a bone

Oh yeah, definitely what Eric said. In our office we have a domain server where Revit files are stored, with all project files in one particular shared folder on the server. Everyone has a domain user name and password, and when he/she logs onto a workstation, a login.bat file runs to map the appropriate shared folders to the appropriate driver letters. So everyone has the same driver letters on their machines at all times.

We have one machine in the office running Vista Home x64 (not by our choice) and so it doesn't connect to the server in the same way since Home editions don't support domains. Luckily, though, that machine doesn't run Revit.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Please give us more information on the type of network and servers you use in your office. What type of network? What type of servers? Where are the central files stored? Do you have a domain set up in the office? How do workstations connect to the servers? Do you use any login scripts that run when a user logs into the domain to map drive letters, etc?
    So I don't screw anything up, I will have my IT manager answer these...we have multiple servers they're running 2008 R2 and yes we have a domain...beyond that I'll get answers from out IT manager.

Thanks for your response!

Login to Give a bone

Oh yeah, definitely what Eric said. In our office we have a domain server where Revit files are stored, with all project files in one particular shared folder on the server. Everyone has a domain user name and password, and when he/she logs onto a workstation, a login.bat file runs to map the appropriate shared folders to the appropriate driver letters. So everyone has the same driver letters on their machines at all times.

We have one machine in the office running Vista Home x64 (not by our choice) and so it doesn't connect to the server in the same way since Home editions don't support domains. Luckily, though, that machine doesn't run Revit.

We have a very similar setup to yours. we have a lengthy log-in script that runs. We have a project server...and we're using Drive letter mapping. (Waiting on the IT Manager for details still)

Crazy thing is we also get a moved warning giving an UNC address with the server name saying it moved to a unc address with an IP address of course it's the same location. My IT manager however is claiming "network innocence" and is trying to blame Revit.

Fortunatley the users invloved don't know how to use UNC pathing so I know they aren't using it before a project "breaks".

Login to Give a bone

Here are the responses from my IT manager....

What type of network?

Microsoft

What type of servers?

Server 2008 and 2008R2

Where are the central files stored?

?

Do you have a domain set up in the office?

Yes, a single domain

How do workstations connect to the servers?

1GB switch

Do you use any login scripts that run when a user logs into the domain to map drive letters, etc?

Yes, persistent mapped drives to a share

Thanks everyone!

Login to Give a bone

If you open Revit, and navigate to a file stored on the server that shows up as a mapped driver letter on your machine, open it with Create Local checked, and then sync with Central, it should show the file path of the central file in the SWC settings box. Verify that it maintains the path with the drive letter shown.

Does every user have the same login script, or at least a script that maps the same server locations to the same drive letters on all machines?

Another thing to check: where are users saving the local copies of workshared files? The automatic local file creation is controlled by the Default User Path setting in Options > File Locations. Make sure this is NOT set to a network server location. We used to point this to our server's project file location because we wanted the Open File box to automatically go there. But if you do that, it will store your local copies on the server instead, which is NOT what you should be doing.

Login to Give a bone

If you open Revit, and navigate to a file stored on the server that shows up as a mapped driver letter on your machine, open it with Create Local checked, and then sync with Central, it should show the file path of the central file in the SWC settings box. Verify that it maintains the path with the drive letter shown.

Does every user have the same login script, or at least a script that maps the same server locations to the same drive letters on all machines?

Another thing to check: where are users saving the local copies of workshared files? The automatic local file creation is controlled by the Default User Path setting in Options > File Locations. Make sure this is NOT set to a network server location. We used to point this to our server's project file location because we wanted the Open File box to automatically go there. But if you do that, it will store your local copies on the server instead, which is NOT what you should be doing.
    Negative! The file shows up as a UNC path. If we change this path to a drive letter it reverts back to a UNC path.

Every user has the same script with the exception of some users getting drives in different offices (offsite offices we use riverbed units).

Our Loacal files are stored in each users My Documents.

Login to Give a bone

hm I just noticed my machine also shows the UNC path to the central file, yet we don't have any problems. Not sure what's going on then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast