Thread: Project File Search Path, Projectname, and Favorites

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Project File Search Path, Projectname, and Favorites

OK, trying to set up my engineers so they can create their own projects. Currently we'll have a Projectname with Project File Search Paths. That's easy stuff to figure out and work with. Changing to different project names based on the project they want to work on.

Here's where I run into a hitch.

When we're in Project Alpha (which happens to be the way the profile is saved) and we click on the Open icon, the favorites menu on the side of the dialog box points to the Project Alpha folders. Everything is hunky dorey so far...

Now we switch to Project Beta using projectname on the command line but, when we go to open a file, it's still pointing the favorites at the Project Alpha directories.

Is there a command I need to use to make the favorites work with the Project Names?

I'm sure Project Navigator would do this for us but, we're not PN friendly here at all.

The boss wants this done today so I can show all the kids.. umm, engineers how to make new projects and be on their merry way tomorrow morning. Then he wants each of them to actually run through the procedures I write up to TEST it..

Any ideas??
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project File Search Path, Projectname, and Favorites

You would need to update the registry per profile to show the new Places list. I'm not sure it would be reread until AutoCAD is restarted. The registry area you are looking for is the \Dialogs\AllAnavDialogs for each profile.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    You would need to update the registry per profile to show the new Places list. I'm not sure it would be reread until AutoCAD is restarted. The registry area you are looking for is the \Dialogs\AllAnavDialogs for each profile.
    It's about time you replied Opie.. For cryin out loud.. 14 minutes?? Were you taking a dog nap or something?? haha..

Thanks, I think that answers the possibility of making that happen. Now looking at switching to using Sheet Set Manager to do the dirty work. Still won't have the favorites but, with SSM, if they open the file from there and save it, it should go right back to that same folder.

I think your name should be Quick Draw McGraw... Umm, I'm only refering to your speed at answering that question.. Nothing else..

Login to Give a bone

IIRC -- the ProjectName settings _only_ apply to XREFs, in that it gives the active session of AutoCAD a place to look for XREFs first, before going through it's usual trip down the search path.

Helpful in a multi-office environment, where office A may use a different drive/directory structure than office B, but if the projectname is saved with the drawing, and the projectname settings in each office point to the correct place for their locale, the XREFs will automagically be found.

Login to Give a bone

You're right there Cadtag.. We do run a multi office..

I've decided to actually go with the Sheet Set Manager to sort things out. It'll be a lot less work trying to explain it then trying to show them how to set everything else up.

Friday is my last day here so I want to make this a usable tool. Also have to use the KISS method do it doesn't get all borked up.

Thanks for the help guys.