Thread: footing tag problem

Login to Give a bone

Default footing tag problem

I'm trying to figure out a way to show the Top of Footing elevation in my footing tag and have it be dynamic so if ever the elvation changes, it updates it automatically. I thought i could create a paramater(not sure if it's project or shared or family parameter) with a formula (either "Elevation at Bottom + Footing Thickness" or "Level + Offset") and link it to my label in the tag family, but it's not working for me. I don't know what to do and would really appreciate any help. Just so you know, i'm very new to families and creating parameters and that type of work.

Thank you

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: footing tag problem

The Foundation Tag family is limited to showing the "Elevation at Bottom" parameter...To my knowledge, I sure others will chime in shortly, the method you are attempting is not possible.

Typically, a Spot Elevation is used. An alternative would be to use a Shared Parameter and manually populate the values via a Schedule or graphically..

Project Parameters can appears in Schedule but not in Tags
    Shared Parameters can appear in both Schedules and Tags and used in multiple projects and families...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply, and i'll most likely have to either use the spot elevations or manually put in the values. But just so i understand, you're saying there's no way to make a "Elevation at Top" parameter? Thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, you can "make" any parameter you want. It just that Revit will not automatically read and populate it...per se. That's all. So you could create your own "Elevation at Top" shared parameter, then manually enter in the data. The data itself will be static and will not change automatically like a Tag or Spot elevation would.

Login to Give a bone

ok, i'll work with what's available and i guess i'll have to wait until revit gets a bit more customizable
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

I have a footing set up that has the plinth modeled with the footing. I created a parameter that reads the geometry on the plinth (plinth depth) to determine the depth of the top of footing. I put this parameter into a footing tag label that should update whenever the footing depth changes. To change the depth of the footing, I adjust the plinth depth parameter. You might try working it this way, hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

We use a footing tag with the top of footing elev also. What I did was just use the elevation mark and move it into the tag area that I want it. It's a 2 step solution, but at least if the footing changes or moves both the callout and the Top of Ftg elev is correct.

Login to Give a bone

That's great, i'll try those and see how it goes, thanks a lot

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Edit the Footing family > Family Types > modify Thickness parameter and change to Shared Parameter > reload into project. If you're not familiar with Shared Parameters you'll need to do a bit of research.

Then open your tag and add the new shared parameter and load into project.