See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revit Structure and Robot

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Structure and Robot

I am in the process of helping my company update its structural analysis software package. With the movement towards BIM, I have been guided to explore Revit Structure.

Discussing it with our senior members (who are a lot more experienced with BIM/Revit in general), they seem to think Revit Structure can function as a stand alone analysis program similar to Civil 3D and Revit MEP. It seems from the research I have done that Revit Structure is not a structural analysis software and that Autodesk Robot functions as the structural analysis platform and Revit Structure as almost the drafting/visual aspect of the whole package. Am I correct in my thinking? What is Revit Structure capable of by itself....what is Robot capable of by itself?

If so, what is the integration like between the two packages? Is it simple and straightforward? Do they link well or are their gaps/issues with the results?

I would also like to know what engineers think of Robot as a analysis package. Does it compete with some of the other big name stand alone analysis programs?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Structure and Robot

Interesting questions about Robot!
    Revit itself can´t analyse structures! But Revit is a good tool for modeling your structures. I think that there is a bidirectional link between Revit and Robot so that you can send your Revit-Model to Robot, analyse it and send it back with alterations you did in Robot.
    I just hope that Autodesk is working hard to improve this link. As much as I have heard this link doesn´t work satisfactory so that most people don´t use it. It´s the same with other analysis software linking to Revit.
    Am I right? Is there anyone out there using these links to analysis Software?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Yes

We use direct links for ETABS, RAM Concept, SpaceGass and Microstran (CAD work around but better then before).

The thing is you need experts in both software to make it work properly not just a Revit Guru (which you do need) but also guys who really understand the analysis software they are using. Just like CAD you have good and bad users with these tools, some people only know how to do very basic stuff. We have an ETABS expert, we have a RAM expert we have a SpaceGass guy. We also have a couple of people engineers and draftsmen whoshare a role in extraction and development of proper analysis models based on the needs of the designing engineer.

Robot is nice and is very tightly ingtegrated. But the fact is we can't afford the money to train up every engineer who walks through the door to use it. Plus with our composite and stressed floor systems we use all the time Robot is weak in that area.
    One thing we are looking into is the excell spreadsheet API with Robot to see how much of the engineers more code checking systems can be run against a model.

At the moment our processes are solid and really we're hoping for more of the API to unlock to record loads and analytical infomation better in Revit to use analysis on snap shot basis, as well as incorporating certain changes but being able to restrict what things change. For instance a beam may have been simplified for analysis but the size of the member has changed. I want the member size to change but the position and orientation to be the same or not be reset by the update.

Autodesk Revit Support
    Login to Give a bone

Hi AJS,

For your comment about “our composite and stressed floor systems we use all the time Robot is weak in that area”

There is a Revit Structure Extension for Composite Design for floors that is available for Subsription users. I am wondering if you got a chance to download and test drive it? We will improve further this tool for our upcoming Subscription Advantage Pack (very soon), so if you have any good suggestion of improvements, etc. please feel free to send your valuable feedbacks to me.

Best Regards,

Wai Chu
    wai.chu@autodesk.com
    Revit Structure Product Manager

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Wai

Yeah I have had a look at it.

While it looks nice for steel, we use RAM to determine our reinforcement and post tensioning since it can layout the physical information aswell as provide design results.The real industry here supports reinforced and stressed concrete systems which I feel this tool is not suited for, especially since it can only do one way slabs.
    Also only works with certain profiles, I had to get through a few things to get through that one as well as one slab at a time, rather then treating the entire floor and systems as an element.

Unless we get steel work from our other offices generally any composite steel/concrete work in Australia is Industrial Mezz on Bondek and therefore barely needs any real analysis. Though there are a couple of decent towers being done in steel.

However I do like the Load Take down tool, I would like to be able to save the animations out, as they make a nice little presentation tool if nothing else Currently I use capture software to do this.