Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pat file location and ini file

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default pat file location and ini file

for unknown reason, my modified pat file (under C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011\Data\) doesn't work, i've already specified type of Model or Drafting for each new hatch pattern, maybe need to specify a path in ini file? or missed something else?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: pat file location and ini file

looks like new pat has to be imported one by one manually, can anyone confirm it? thanks

Edit: besides, anyone has stone pat files to share, i just need a few typical ones.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I have not tried, but I think you should be able to copy paste hatch pattern code between files, to customize the default Revit .pat file. (Not tested, though).

Anyway, just in case, attached, there are some 4 stone model patterns from AutoCAD
    Attached Files Attached Files

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can customize them a lot, by copying and pasting. Thats what ive always done.

Revit doesnt path to .pat files the way AutoCAD does, you load them in the Project or template by manually locating the .pat file. Once its *in* the file, its there.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

thanks Alfredo for your pat file.

thanks Aaron for your input, i assume the new revit.pat and/or revit metric.pat should take effect when i restart revit, but it's not, so i have to manually import each new pattern, looks like that's the way Revit works.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You dont have to restart Revit, just rebrowse to the file when youre in the Custom > Import dialogue box. Yeah, it doesnt remember where it is... It doesnt path at all.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I see your point now. You were expecting (as I was) to see an updated drop down list of hatch patterns immediately after making changes to the .pat file. But the list updates only after importing patterns, one by one. Yup, it seems that this is the way it works.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    I see your point now. You were expecting (as I was) to see an updated drop down list of hatch patterns immediately after making changes to the .pat file. But the list updates only after importing patterns, one by one. Yup, it seems that this is the way it works.
    and, one would "import patterns" by using Fill Region/Fill Patterns/New Pattern, Custom button/Import? Does it matter where you are when you do this? Does it need to be done in a template or IIRC what Aaron says is that Revit doesn't know/care where they are.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It's always in the same place, in the Materials dialog box. There are several ways to get to that place, from Manage > Materials, or from any dialog box that has a 'Materials' parameter and a little button on the right. From that window, you select one of the materials, such as "Default" from the list on the left side, then duplicate it, and name it. Then, on the right side, find the (...) button next to the "Surface pattern" drop down list, next to "Surface pattern". From there, click on "Drafting" or "Model" and then "New" > custom > import > from there you can select your acad.pat file to add a pattern into Revit.

"Drafting" patterns update with the scale. Usually, textures.
    "Model" patterns keep their size, regardless of the scale. Usually, materials with fixed dimensions, such as bricks.

If you choose "Drafting" but you select a "Model" pattern, or vice versa, Revit will complain.

To convert a drafting pattern into a model pattern, edit the .pat file and add " ;%TYPE=MODEL " to the hatch pattern definition, as shown in this example:

*BRICKS, Grouted bricks
    ;%TYPE=MODEL
    0, 0,0, .25,.2, .47,-.03
    0, 0,.17, .25,.2, .47,-.03
    90, 0,0, .2,.25, .17,-.23
    90, -.03,0, .2,.25, .17,-.23

...and, yes, if you import hatch patterns in your template file, they will be available in all your new projects. To bring patterns into existing projects, open the template file, and from the project, use Manage > Transfer Project Standards > Materials.
    Last edited by alfredo medina; 2010-08-05 at 07:31 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    "Drafting" patterns update with the scale. Usually, textures.
    "Model" patterns keep their size, regardless of the scale. Usually, materials with fixed dimensions, such as bricks.
    some patterns it would make sense to have both Model and Drafting. I assume that one could just copy/paste the pattern in my custom.pat file and change the heading and load the pattern?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast