Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pat file location and ini file

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: pat file location and ini file

Yes, maybe you can add a prefix to the name of the pattern, to be able to tell the difference.

Drafting patterns may omit the ;%TYPE=DRAFTING line and still be recognized as such. Model patterns must have the ;%TYPE=MODEL line.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

right, i don't think you can import single pat (file) into both Model and Drafting, even though you can have the same name, but you still have to do it separately, correct me if i'm wrong.

Alfredo, i think the best place to import new or modified pat is from Setting -> Fill Patterns, not Materials because you may accidently overwrite existing material pattern, again, correct me if i'm wrong.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Yes, maybe you can add a prefix to the name of the pattern, to be able to tell the difference.

Drafting patterns may omit the ;%TYPE=DRAFTING line and still be recognized as such. Model patterns must have the ;%TYPE=MODEL line.
    OK, so that's easy. The Acad pattern I use most is ANSI32 at a 0.5 scale. I imported ANSI32 as a Drafting pattern no problem. When I try to import the copy with ;%TYPE=MODEL I get this error. Why would the lines not be to dense in the Drafting pattern but are so in the Model pattern?

edit: oh, and it doesn't have anything to do with the Import Scale value
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Joe, I think there is no difference between Additional Settings > Fill patterns and Materials > Fill patterns, since from both paths we get to the same place, the Fill Patterns window, so there is no risk to override a name, since the list is the same.

I think what matters most is to create these fill patterns in your template. So the issue you were having with importing them one by one, will be partially solved. You still have to import them one by one, but at least all your custom patterns will be placed in a 'central' location, not scattered among your projects. By doing this, all your new projects will get the custom patterns, and your existing projects can get them through Transfer Project Standards.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You have to be careful with that (switching a heading from Drafting to model). If you do it, what is ".25" in a Drafting pattern means a quarter inch on a sheet. Switching that to model, will mean a quarter inch in the model, which will turn your drawing to mud.

We have an Excel workbook we use to scale things up or down though. That way, we can have a 12"x12" tile pattern (Model) with varying densities of "sand hatch" behind it, for finish plans. It works great.

A simple Multiplier, followed by a Concatenate command to reinsert all the commas, and youre off.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones DDP View Post
    Why would the lines not be too dense in the Drafting pattern but are so in the Model pattern?
    Maybe because Drafting scales and Model doesn't. Tip: whenever you see an 'X' in the preview, the scale is no good. Try importing the ANSI32 model version with a value of 10, or so.

Who said Revit was easy?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Maybe because Drafting scales and Model doesn't. Tip: whenever you see an 'X' in the preview, the scale is no good. Try importing the ANSI32 model version with a value of 10, or so.

Who said Revit was easy?
    larger scale worked. Revit is not easy and my biggest problem is getting past 20 years of AutoCAD use and letting Revit manipulate my senses. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but it's still going to be a long journey

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

larger scale worked. Revit is not easy and my biggest problem is getting past 20 years of AutoCAD use and letting Revit manipulate my senses. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but it's still going to be a long journey
    Quite True! It actually gets more difficult if you have to go back and forth between projects.
    I was considered a power user in AutoCAD (18+ years) before starting on Revit. Now I have difficulty plotting out of AutoCAD. 6 years of just Revit will do that to you.

After awhile, you begin to learn what Revit is looking for, etc. I Strongly, strongly urge Revit Users to go to Autodesk University. This is one location where hands on training, discussion with others using the program, and other disciplines using the program have proven to be far more valuable than the cost of the conference itself.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    Quite True! It actually gets more difficult if you have to go back and forth between projects.
    I was considered a power user in AutoCAD (18+ years) before starting on Revit. Now I have difficulty plotting out of AutoCAD. 6 years of just Revit will do that to you.

After awhile, you begin to learn what Revit is looking for, etc. I Strongly, strongly urge Revit Users to go to Autodesk University. This is one location where hands on training, discussion with others using the program, and other disciplines using the program have proven to be far more valuable than the cost of the conference itself.
    As a matter of fact I'll be attending AU this year, my first visit since the original in '92 (IIRC) in SF.

Unfortunately, being a specialty detailer (curtain wall) I will probably always have to produce output for some customers from Acad. For now only on larger projects for larger customers will there be enough $ to warrant the time and effort required do drawings with Revit. I know that over time that the time and effort factor between Acad and Revit will be reduced, maybe to the point of it not mattering anymore but for now projects take longer for me to do in Revit. That said, both I and my customers see the great value of a Revit model. Correctly and accurately produced it will save many more $ than it costs in the long run.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    I Strongly, strongly urge Revit Users to go to Autodesk University. This is one location where hands on training, discussion with others using the program, and other disciplines using the program have proven to be far more valuable than the cost of the conference itself.
    As a matter of fact I'll be attending AU this year, my first visit since the original in '92 (IIRC) in SF. .
    Dave and Scott, I look forward to meeting you guys personally in Las Vegas this year. First beers are on me. One of my proposals was accepted. My proposals in English did not make it in the final selection, though, only one in Spanish for AU Virtual. So you'll have to brush up your Spanish to attend my class.

This is the most important word: Cerveza = Beer.
    Last edited by alfredo medina; 2010-08-08 at 03:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast