Thread: Can't create an in-place sweep using the edge of a hosted sweep?

Login to Give a bone

Default Can't create an in-place sweep using the edge of a hosted sweep?

I have an existing wall with an existing stone coping on top. The stone coping is a wall-hosted sweep. I want to add a metal coping on top of the stone coping. Since the stone coping is already at the very top of the wall, a wall sweep for the metal coping won't work. I need the metal coping sweep to be at the top edge of the stone coping.

So I created an in-place sweep, picking the edge of the wall-hosted stone coping as the path, and specifying a loaded profile. When I try to finish the sweep, I get an error "Elements can't be copied because they will lose their references", referring to the wall-hosted stone coping sweep.

Huh?

I don't understand why this won't work.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't create an in-place sweep using the edge of a hosted sweep?

gahhh it still does it even if I merely sketch the sweep path with the work plane set to the top of the stone coping hosted sweep.

This is madness!!! It feels like Revit is doing all it can to make this be the most difficult procedure it possibly can. This kind of ridiculous behavior is what drives some people to "cheat".

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Can't create an in-place sweep using the edge of a hosted sweep?

Can you add the host sweep for the metal cap on the existing wall, and give it a vertical offset to place it on top of the exist. stone cap?

Or--build a new "wall"--located within the existing wall, to host the new metal cap sweep?

just a couple of ideas.....

cheers

Login to Give a bone

Tried your first idea. Revit complains but the sweep is still there. However I cannot adjust the end grips of the sweep at all, and it will not clean up at all at corners.

I even tried putting the existing stone cap in the wall type itself. It's above the top of the wall (reference point is at the bottom of the sweep, with 0 offset from the top of wall). I had to set the horizontal offset to -14" to get it in the right place. Then when I tried to do the in-place metal cap, even though I picked the inside edges of the stone coping, when finishing the sweep it pops it out to 14" outside the wall! If I edit the sweep it goes back to where it should be!

And then, if I set the sweep with a -14" offset in edit mode, it ends up in the right place on the wall, but it then pops down BELOW the stone coping!

Madness, pure madness.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Two thoughts:
    Are you locking your sketch lines to the host? See what happens if you don't lock them.

Have you tried sweeping just a portion of the top of wall rather than all the way around? It may be just one part of your entire path that is the problem

Login to Give a bone

Not locking the sketch lines.

I have tried making the sketch lines on different walls and stone coping sections all around the model, and it doesn't work anywhere.

Login to Give a bone

Anybody want to give'er a go? Click on the metal coping and edit it, and watch it jump from in front of the wall up to the correct location over the stone coping while in sketch mode.

The other set of walls has the stone coping as its own wall-hosted sweep. If you try to place the metal coping on top of that by picking the top rear edges of the stone coping, it throws up errors when you try to finish the in-place model.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by patricks; 2010-08-06 at 02:04 PM.