Thread: Formula using "Original Value"

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Question Formula using "Original Value"

I think I already know the answer to this question, but is it possible to place a current value of lets say a length parameter into a formula for itself (see formula below)? This is getting into circular references in the formula. But, I'm trying to minimize the number of parameters, and I'm not sure how to do this with an instance parameter, unless I have two instance parameters measuring the same distance... Might that lead me to an over constrained model? I'll do some testing on this latest brain storm.

I swear it helps sometimes to just put it in writing...

Y = if(Show_X, (Original Value of Y), (Original Value of Y)-0' 0 1/2")

Thank you in advance for you ideas,

Jeff S.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Formula using "Original Value"

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    Y = if(Show_X, (Original Value of Y), (Original Value of Y)-0' 0 1/2")
    this looks like statement in computer programming, but it cannot be done in formula because formula only provide you w/ very limited scope of computer programming, in short, you cannot dynamically change value of parameter w/o using intermed. parameters, maybe a lot of them.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Formula using "Original Value"

Quote Originally Posted by joe.zhou View Post
    this looks like statement in computer programming, but it cannot be done in formula because formula only provide you w/ very limited scope of computer programming, in short, you cannot dynamically change value of parameter w/o using intermed. parameters, maybe a lot of them.
    Thanks Joe,

I figured that was the case. I shouldn't ask for ultimate control in formulas & family creation, because then I know it would scare everyone in the office away.

There only needed to be one other length parameter created. I then constrained the reference planes with the original value, and the profile of the extrusion with the other. Works okay, but I'm running into an issue when I have multiple families next to each. Maybe it's not an issue at all. Time to run it up the flag pole to get shot down.

Thanks,
    Jeff

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Formula using "Original Value"

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    ...two instance parameters measuring the same distance...
    Your instinct is correct and I think you can do this without over-constraining your family. Would you mind posting what you want to accomplish with a little more detail about your goal? To explain what I mean, I attached a screen shot from a family where I did something similar. This is not exactly what you want but I bet I could solve your problem if I had a little more information. If you are willing to share, I will take a stab at it.

In the screen shot, the two fields in yellow and the two fields in green do essentially the same thing but only the Control parameters are applied to the geometry in the family. I have done something similar when "idiot-proofing" some dimensions that would break a family.
    Attached Images Attached Images