See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: flip controls in elevation views

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default flip controls in elevation views

There must be a way to add flip controls in elevation views? It is annoying to have to go to a plan view in the project to flip a window or door.

The forums say it can't be done but I have a family that has one in the front elevation - no idea where it came from. My guess is that this family was created in a long ago version of Revit that allowed flip controls in elevation views, or maybe the control was in an old template somewhere (see attached door family).

Door attachment added!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by twaldock; 2010-08-12 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Attachment added

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: flip controls in elevation views

No attached Door

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, it is possible. It depends on how the door family is created. Usually, flip controls are not allowed in elevation views within model families, but they are allowed in plan view. Therefore, the solution is to make the door panel as a face based family, "laying on the floor", so that you can assign a flip control to it. Then, the door panel is nested into the door family, placed on a reference line that has been located in plan view, at the door opening. Now the door panel that was laying on the floor is now standing up. Once you load the door family in the project, the door displays a flip control in elevation. See illustration.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks Alfredo,
    I have not tested it yet, but that sounds like a tricky method. But what I actually wanted to do was have a door panel as a shared nested family in a window family - so that it would schedule/tag as a door while the parent family schedule/tags as a window. I know that it is not always easy to rotate nested objects against their "natural rotation" (ie, around Z axis for doors) - hence your suggestion of a face-based door panel. Unticking the "Always vertical" box in the properties of the nested door won't allow it to be rotated around the X axis - so I guess I'd have to have a nested face-based panel in a nested door in a window! That would still not allow me to flip the whole window assembly in elevation - just the door within the window.

But, I have now attached the door to my original post, and you will see that the door family has no nesting, but does have a flip control in the front elevation view. I might just use that door family to set up a new template as a base to recreate all my doors with the flip control (I planned to recreate them anyway, to take advantage of reporting parameters that know the wall width).

Tim Waldock
    PTW

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You can select on the door and right click and select flip hand or flip facing, depending on what ypou want to do.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Er thanks Doug,
    Sometimes we miss the obvious answers! Yes that is true for windows and doors, so it solves the problem for me (once I remember to look at the right-click options). But other categories do not necessarily have that option, so someone out there might want to be able to flip a non-symmetical plumbing fixture in elevation for example. I guess it is the inconsistency, or the arbitrary restrictions that bother me about things like this.

Login to Give a bone

What about just hitting spacebar?