Thread: Visibility Parameters

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Visibility Parameters

Our firm has many different legal names per state. I'm wanting to create a family that has each of these names that I can select which one pertains to the current job. In AutoCAD, I created a Dynamic block that had visibility states for each option. How do you go about doing this in Revit?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Visibility Parameters

We do this in our titleblock by creating multiple text objects for each company, then select each one at a time and you'll see a check box for visible, click the button next to that and create a parameter with that companies name, repeate for each then you'll have multiple types of the titleblock with the appropriate check box for each company.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah, what Scott said.

The only problem with this is that you can't idiot-proof it by making the selections exclusive from each other. So, if the user edits the type parameters and selects the New York company name, it won't automatically turn off the Maryland name and you end up with them overlapping each other.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sthedens View Post
    Yeah, what Scott said.

The only problem with this is that you can't idiot-proof it by making the selections exclusive from each other. So, if the user edits the type parameters and selects the New York company name, it won't automatically turn off the Maryland name and you end up with them overlapping each other.
    Steve, I have to disagree, since the "Other" Steve, have a solution for that problem right here: http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2005/1...p-my-mind.html
    Last edited by Munkholm; 2011-01-10 at 08:20 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Munkholm View Post
    Steve, I have to disagree, since the "Other" Steve, have a solution for that problem right here: http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2005/1...p-my-mind.html
    The solution proposed in the linked blog would apply to the OP if they assigned an integer value to each state. The BIM manager would have to have a key such as:
    Alabama = 1
    Alaska = 2
    West Virginia = 49
    Wyoming = 50

Of course you wouldn't need every state, unless your firm has a presence in every state.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Another solution for this issue of swapping notes with different contents is this: One host annotation family with one family type parameter for generic annotations, and a set of generic annotation families nested into. For example, the file "Notes.rfa" hosts the following files: "Note 1.rfa", "Note 2.rfa", "Note 3.rfa", etc. These files shall have descriptive names, according to their content. By doing this, the family maker can create the notes independently, without any visual clutter. In addition, the host file needs very few parameters, maybe just one: the family type parameter. No need to use visibility parameters nor any formulas. On the other side, the end user just inserts "Notes" and then simply chooses, for example: "Note for Acme", "Note for Abc", etc.

See illustration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alfredo medina; 2010-09-11 at 03:01 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Visibility Parameters

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Another solution for this issue of swapping notes with different contents is this: One host annotation family with one family type parameter for generic annotations, and a set of generic annotation families nested into. For example, the file "Notes.rfa" hosts the following files: "Note 1.rfa", "Note 2.rfa", "Note 3.rfa", etc. These files shall have descriptive names, according to their content. By doing this, the family maker can create the notes independently, without any visual clutter. In addition, the host file needs very few parameters, maybe just one: the family type parameter. No need to use visibility parameters nor any formulas. On the other side, the end user just inserts "Notes" and then simply chooses, for example: "Note for Acme", "Note for Abc", etc.

See illustration.
    So Alfredo, do you suggest this user creates a Company_Logo.rfa with different types for each state? Or different families for each logo? Then allow the Family Type parameter in the host family to choose the correct logo? It sounds very simple, but not fool-proof.

OP, I would suggest any of these solutions. I think Alfredo's is probably the easiest to implement. But, I would also create a Type Catalog for your titleblock.rfa. This will keep you from having to insert all types of the titleblock.rfa into a project then purging unused types. Your logo should probably be a Shared Family, so that multiple titleblocks use the same logos. You can pre-load your template with this logo family, then when you insert a family with this as a nested family, it will allow you to choose to use either the one already in the project or the new definition from the family being loaded. In our BIM standards, we have it spelled out to not overwrite a Nested Shared Family. This way you only need to keep your template up-to-date with the latest logos, and not have to go back through 15 different titleblocks updating the nested family.

Best of luck to you,

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    It sounds very simple, but not fool-proof.
    "As soon as you think you have something that is fool-proof... they build a better fool."