Thread: Cant Return a Borrowed Licence - HELP....

Login to Give a bone

Default Cant Return a Borrowed Licence - HELP....

Hi,
    The scenario..
    1. Revit was installed under adminpk account, then licence borrowed from Licence server.
    2. Another user then logged in and borrowed another licence..

Noone noticed until we ran out of licences, as the adminpk user accoutn shouldnt have borrowed one .

the licence file lists correctly the below.
    adminpk NCLDC84FH3J NCLDC84FH3J (v3.000) (clolic1/27000 101), start Thu 8/12 15:26 (linger: 4891020)

I logged back into the machine under adminpk and Revit could not obtain a licence, so i freed up another one and it got one from the licence server (implying it didnt have one borrowed). obviulsy says cant return as it doesnt have one borrowed. Tried doing it using LHutil.exe at command oline and says the same, nothing borrowed.

I cannot free up this borrowed licence no matter what i try from the licence server?

Can anyone help? (ps. i havent rebooted the licence server yet!!), (but have tried rereading the licence file and stopijng the licence service) none of which worked.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cant Return a Borrowed Licence - HELP....

Firstly try do a force shutdown on LMtools to see if it returns the license file. If not then then you will need to look at the options below.

Click Force Shut down on LMTools and then stop the service.

Once you have done that go to the license file and give it a new name and delete the current log file under Config Services.

Once you have done that, recreate a new log file by simply making name like debug.log or Veladebug.log.

Set the up the config sercices again and save the services making sure that Use Services and Start Service at Start up are ticked on.

Then go and start/stop/reread the license file in that order. Once that is done have a look at the Status and give me a shout if this worked.

If this didn't work please give me a shout so that I can make arrangements to come through and see what is going wrong.

If not try this.

Errors attempting to return the license early

If there are errors attempting to return the license early from the client machine (for example Error

[1.5.‐124]), Autodesk provides two possible solutions:

1. Wait out the time period and have the license automatically returned.

2. On the client machine use Regedit to delete “HKEY_CURRENT_USER¥Software¥FLEXlm License

Manager¥Borrow”. Once deleted, restart the CAD application and borrow the license. You

should now be able to return the license.

When All Else Fails

When you have attempted everything else and have yet to find a solution, there is an unsupported

method that may work.

The two important things about this method are that:

1. It is completely unsupported by Autodesk.

2. It is highly important to back up the data prior to attempting this procedure (more to come on

this).

On the system hosting the Autodesk Network License Manager, navigate (using Windows Explorer) to

“C:¥Documents and Settings¥All Users¥Application Data¥Macrovision¥FLEXlm”. Select the entire

contents of this folder and move it to another directory (for example a sub‐folder called “backup” in this

directory).

Once the files have been moved, use LMTOOLS to restart the FLEXnet licence services. At this point all
    borrowed licenses should be returned to the server.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks (a very complrehensive help!!)
    i renamed and copied the licence file, restarted etc, reread and the stuck licence had dissappeared!.
    Many Thanks

i will now be setting up options files instead of users borrwing licences for months on end..

Best regards
    Graeme

Login to Give a bone

Not a problem. Had a client that had a similar problem so I was lucky that we had this info to give out.