Thread: Dimension to rough openings

Cotter, AR on the White River in the Ozarks Mtns .
    Login to Give a bone

Default Dimension to rough openings

This may have already been covered in the past but I couldn't find anything on the topic.

Is there a way to set dimensions to measure to the rough openings of doors and windows in a floor plan? I could continue with current practice of measuring to center of opening and list the R.O. in the schedule, but the framer would like to have the actual R.O., and corresponding string dimensions. I don't blame him, really.

When looking at the Door family I see that there isn't a RO to measure to. I added that to the family but am still not able to have a dimension pick up this point in the plan.

Have any of you had success in making this happen?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Dimension to rough openings

You can position the witness lines of the dimensions to the rough openings in the walls.

Try turning off doors and windows when dimensioning, so you can place the dimension
    witness lines easily to the rough opening, which is the opening cut into the host wall by the family.

A common example is a 3'-0" x 7'-0" x 1 3/4" door, in a masonry wall. The required r.o.
    width is 3'-4". But the OTB Revit door family may create a 3'-0" wide opening. ( Depends on which family is loaded by default.) So--the family must be edited to make the opening cut 3'-4" wide, but have the door panel itself be only 3'-0" wide, with a 2" frame. Same with the door height--r.o. should be 7'-2" ( or 7-'4" for a load bearing masonry condition)--so the families should be adjusted with opening cut and door panels/frames at their correct dimensions.

cheers

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension to rough openings

Thanks for the reply, Cliff.
    I have tried what you suggest and it still doesn't tick ti the rough opening; only the finish opening. I'm using the stock, flush panel interior door family. In the case of the 32" x 80" door, the dimensioned opening is still 2'-8". Also,I have entered the correct ro in the type properties. I did notice that in the family editor there was no reference for a rough opening, so I modified the family to include that. Still not providing a ro tick point when I go into the diminution mode. It doesn't seem to matter weather I turn the doors and windows on or off in vis graphics.

Is there some other control that would turn on, or off the diminution to the rough opening? It seems that this would be something that many people would want to be able to do easily. Am I missing something, or is this a "wish list" item?

Login to Give a bone

"But the OTB Revit door family may create a 3'-0" wide opening. ( Depends on which family is loaded by default.) So--the family must be edited to make the opening cut 3'-4" wide, but have the door panel itself be only 3'-0" wide, with a 2" frame. Same with the door height--r.o. should be 7'-2" ( or 7-'4" for a load bearing masonry condition)--so the families should be adjusted with opening cut and door panels/frames at their correct dimensions."

What he's saying there is that you need to adjust whatever door family you're using so that there's a 2" frame (add an extrusion or sweep to your family and adjust the dimensions/reference plans/parameters) going around the panel in the family and within the opening of the wall. After you do that, when you look at your new loaded door in plan view, there will be a visible "frame" that accounts for the 2" frame. That gives you a 3'-0" door and a 3'-4" r.o. when dimensioned from the points where the wall gets cut.

It might be easier to just make the door family from scratch instead of readjusting the OTB door family.

Hope that made sense!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Denis01 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Cliff.
    I have tried what you suggest and it still doesn't tick ti the rough opening; only the finish opening. I'm using the stock, flush panel interior door family. In the case of the 32" x 80" door, the dimensioned opening is still 2'-8". Also,I have entered the correct ro in the type properties. I did notice that in the family editor there was no reference for a rough opening, so I modified the family to include that. Still not providing a ro tick point when I go into the diminution mode. It doesn't seem to matter weather I turn the doors and windows on or off in vis graphics.

Is there some other control that would turn on, or off the diminution to the rough opening? It seems that this would be something that many people would want to be able to do easily. Am I missing something, or is this a "wish list" item?
    Just add reference planes to the door family where the RO is going to be. If the family has no frame and you want one dimensioned the RP would be 2" from the door panel. If the family has a frame the RP would be 1/4" or whatever you like from the frame. Then in the project the RO will dimension. That works for me with curtain wall profiles anyway.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

in plan, the references planes that mark your rough width should be set as "Left" and "Right" references under properies(the drop down). In project the automatic dimension will jump to these "Left" and "Right" ref planes.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Dimension to rough openings

Thanks a million folks. Adding the RPs to the family plan worked like a charm. While I was at it, I added a rectangular masked region where the frame will show in the plan as well. Now I can snap a string of framing dimensions and keep the framer happy.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Reference planes rule! :