Thread: Revit FBX 2011 Material Editing in 3ds Max 2011

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit FBX 2011 Material Editing in 3ds Max 2011

I'm having a problem understanding why Revit FBX 2011 materials lose their output rollout where I can edit the image of the material when it's imported into 3dx Max 2011. The path of all images of imported materials couldn't be found. I couldn't adjust RBG, diffuse, and other options. It's frustrating because I was able to do it with Revit FBX 2010 when it was imported into 3ds Max. I thought upgrading Revit into the newer version will be beneficial but, it ended in the wrong path for our company. Is anyone having the same problem? Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit FBX 2011 Material Editing in 3ds Max 2011

Autodesk basically have a "wheel of stupidity" that they spin before every release. The wheel of stupidy basically has a series of options available to them of what to break in the next release. I can't remember a time when when this hasn't occurred for any release of either 3ds Max or Revit. I am currently having the same issue with 2011 FBX and am completely ****** off!!!
    I'm hoping that either the Russians or Chinese make a decent alternative to Microsoft and Autodesk, I'll jump ship immediately.

I really feel like going postal on these useless MF's RIGHT NOW !!!!!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ecbulic.230329 View Post
    Autodesk basically have a "wheel of stupidity" that they spin before every release.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Well... I came in thinking this was a post looking for productive answers, but that appears not to be the case. So ill just step back outside. Good luck!

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pras3rt View Post
    I'm having a problem understanding why Revit FBX 2011 materials lose their output rollout where I can edit the image of the material when it's imported into 3dx Max 2011. The path of all images of imported materials couldn't be found. I couldn't adjust RBG, diffuse, and other options. It's frustrating because I was able to do it with Revit FBX 2010 when it was imported into 3ds Max. I thought upgrading Revit into the newer version will be beneficial but, it ended in the wrong path for our company. Is anyone having the same problem? Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Thank you.
    Hi,
    have you tried a discussion with your Reseller yet ?
    My understanding is that we have ("free") access to these people for these very situations.
    It is not something we should feel is not a legitimate query and it should be taken care of without cost to your company.
    If your Reseller will not discuss this and help you through it, a new Reseller is a good path and relevant feedback to AutoDesk is appropriate.

Have you filed a Support Request yet ?

You will have searched these forums for relevant info and will have seen the last 3 years anyway, of discussions relating to this particular problem, and may have guessed that this workflow has a range of issues as of Revit 2011.
    From posts to date, it seems that a few have moderate success. Others might be doing a lot more work in Max with materials assignments, to get what they want from the Revit model.
    In the light of all of this, and assuming you have subscriptions via a Reseller, you should figure that this workflow is still some way from doing what it might one day achieve.

I am sure they are working on this problem somehow and assume the next version of Revit and Max will attempt to further improve this linkage because, its clear enough that there are now a serious number of viable alternatives to Max (if rendering is the only requirement). While there are quite a few examples of high end cg work with Max and VRay in tandem - (some superb work for sure), there is heaps around that is nowhere near that but it still apparently used as the primary and viable way to present.
    On this score, and quite clearly, being able to potentially attract a large audience of potential new customers from the now enormous Revit user base towards Max...because hey....it soooo easy tra la tra la , means they will be working hard to stave off a suite of useful and far far cheaper alternatives from eating into the Revit user base.

They will be keen to avoid you buying into one of those alternatives and rather, want you to buy into what is basically, a much more expensive rendering solution or, keep you into Max if you are there now.
    good luck with your P2 Mats.
    trombe

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

it is great to know the close relationship between REVIT and 3ds Max. Thank you.