Thread: Microstation DGN files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Angry Microstation DGN files

Help guys.

A client (State DOT) has provided us survey files produced in Microstation and Inroads. When I try to use "DGNImport" to bring the drawing in, I can't. I get the error message "This DGN file does not contain any models that can be imported into this drawing". The files contain a wide variety of extensions (.inp, .dra, .prn, .mmd, .dpw, .dpf, .fil) in addition to .dgn. Some of these might relate to their survey program instead of Microstation, I don't know.

Log files I can read suggest that they did create a TIN and alignment, but don't know how to get the data.

Unfortunately, the client has indicated to us that they will not convert to AutoCAD on their end as it is against their policy, and we have to deal with it ourselves. (A little disappointing, but I guess I can't blame them.)

Everything I can find on the process says it is easy to bring in DGN by DGNImport, but every comment I read on doing it says it is nearly impossible to do it through AutoCAD and that doing it through Microstation is better.

This is a potentially big client for us that we hope to do more work for in the future. Do we have to change to Microstation, or can we get AutoCAD (Civil 3D 2011) to do this? (Are you reading this AutoDesk?)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Microstation DGN files

Try using the ._mapimport command.
    • Map > Tools > Import
    Be sure to change the file type to .dgn at the bottom of the window.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Well, two of the files opened with nothing in them. Empty. (Maybe they are seed files / templates).

One drawing opened with linework and points in Acad. This drawing opens as empty in Design Review 2011.

The last drawing didn't open. Got the error "Invalid data or no data found." But, I was able to open this drawing with Design Review 2011 and see linework and points. But, I can't do anything with it.

In no drawings do I see the triangles or alignment.

Any other suggestions?

Login to Give a bone

I may be wrong, but in my experience working with .dgn files using Civil 3D 2009, you are going to have to remake both the TIN, and Alignment (Vertical and Horizontal).

Here, we use routines to convert external TOPO to our TOPO points system, then bring them in. Likewise, we just convert external line work to our layer system, and quickly re-draw the alignments using their vertical information from the *master* profile drawing.

Maybe one of the gurus has a better solution?

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks RenderMan,

That approach was my last resort. I already have some Description Key Sets already created and can easily do a Layer Translate, but I was hoping not to have to recreate work that they already did. Even in the best of attempts, your triangles will never match the originals.

Even if I could get an .xml of the tin, it would be something to work with.

Oh well. If any of you gurus have something else to suggest?

Login to Give a bone

I have never seen a TIN from a DGN get correctly imported into Civil 3D. Generally, the TIN triangles get turned into polylines, which can have only a single elevation at all vertices, turning the triangles into garbage.

The only effective way I know of to get the civil design info out of InRoads or other Bentley Civil products is LandXML. If the engineer refuses to give you the LandXML, then that creates a problem...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for info Sinc!

Computer Specs: