Thread: Tagging Families

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Tagging Families

Trying to do the following in Revit. I want to create a group of Fixture pieces all with their own identifier (F-1, F-2, F-3, etc.). When I insert this group into Revit, the goal is to be able to use the Keynote feature to automatically place the appropriate Fixture designation to each piece. Is this possible? I can achieve this w/ individual pieces but I have to assign the Keynote value to the family within the project.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Tagging Families

Try using "nested families" i.e. create an overall fixture family, then insert individual families
    into it. Be sure to click "shared" for each individual family that you "nest" into the overall family.

Then load the overall family into your project. You should now be able to tag each individual
    family, even though it is really just the "overall family" that you see in the view.

You may have to use the Tab key to select the individual families.

I'm not sure this is a solution to the problem you stated, but if you are not already using nested families it may be helpful for fixtures, furniture and equipment.

Edit: Note that this method works with Tag Annotations--not Keynotes as your post asked about.

cheers
    Last edited by cliff collins; 2010-08-23 at 04:08 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tagging Families

Another alternative of solution is this:

Create a family with 3 types and 3 different objects. Assign visibility parameters for each object, and then turn these parameters on or off as needed for each type. Then, under Identity Data, find the Keynote parameter and assign a a different Keynote value for each type. Then, in the project, use Annotate > Keynote > Element keynote. See illustration.

Note: for simple objects, this approach might be just fine. For complex objects, use nested families, as per Cliff's reply, and a family type parameter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alfredo medina; 2010-08-24 at 11:07 AM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Another alternative of solution is this:

Create a family with 3 types and 3 different objects. Assign visibility parameters for each object, and then turn these parameters on or off as needed for each type.
    Ok, so I understand the Family types and Keynoting part, but not sure I understand creating visibility parameters. How exactly do you do this?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

For visibility parameters, make the parameter type "Yes/No" (yes-no.jpg). This will display as a checkbox in your parameter listing for the element properties. Turn the visibility parameter checkbox(s) on/off for each of your family types.

Then you need to set the visibility of your elements to toggle on/off when the parameter changes. Rather than checking the checkbox in the Visibility setting, click on the small gray box which allows the yes/no parameter to drive the visibility (gray box.jpg and vis param.jpg).
    Attached Images Attached Images