Thread: Text orientation at 270 degrees

Login to Give a bone

Default Text orientation at 270 degrees

Below is what has been said on AutoDesk's forum any suggestions? The latest is on top.
    Thanks.

Re: Text orientation at 270 degrees looks like a common problem
    Me: Good suggestions, but no luck.
    When I select MTEXT - pick point one - Style - Select my style - Roation - <0> the text is still at 270 degrees in the front view.
    If I change 0 to north wouldn't that change how angles are measured? I could not change north to 0.
    When I looked at my imperial templates that work correctly they have the same setup as those templates that work incorrectly.
    I think the problem is with a system variable, not that I am an expert, but the templates and files that work correctly are those that started with Drawing 1 file NOT a template file.
    I still need help...thanks for trying,

Rgrainer: Have you checked the Style setting for the current text style, what is the rotation set to?
    Have you checked your Units and Rotation settings in that dialog? North or 0 can be adjusted.

Me: Michael –
    Thanks for your help, but sorry to say it did not help my situation.
    When I typed DWTWIST unknown command is the response, DVIEW is DBIEWBLOCK command, TW is an unknown command.
    I think part of the problem is in my world of drafting coordinates X&Y are in the front view not the top view as AutoCAD wants it. I rotate the cube to front view and the UCS in the X&Y orientation, when I create text I see the edge view of the text and cannot change it to the proper orientation.
    I have used several AutoCAD standard templates and have the same problem with each template.
    When I opened AutoCAD and did NOT go to “open with not template – imperial” and accepted drawing 1.
    Everything worked as I wanted as follows for the imperial unit files;
    The cube was at front view
    Text was at zero, not in edge view, and correct
    X & Y were in the correct orientation
    I cannot make the metric unit files behave the same.
    I am on AutoCAD 2011 educational version – the down load version.
    Any more suggestions

Michael: I have made two videos below in the supplied links showing how this feature by default should work. Please review these two videos in reference to defaults within the software and functionality of these two commands.
    Video TEXT: http://screencast.com/t/ZThmYTBiOD
    Video MTEXT: http://screencast.com/t/MWFiZTYz
    If the inherited problem lies in the drawing the command, DWTWIST may have been used to change these values in the text? If so a simple way to reset could be to enter in the command prompt:
    DVIEW
    TW (for twist)
    (specify angle for rotation of Text)
    PLAN
    <EnterKey>
    <EnterKey>
    The text should now rotate back to orientation "World" at "0" degrees
    If this does not correct the issue and all files and sessions of ACAD are occurring the same manner you may need to perform a repair to the software to force default functionality with these text objects.

Me: I downloaded AutoCAD 2011 about a week ago and I am setting up my template and ran into the following problem. I am using the educational version of AutoCAD and have used the 2D environment only.
    When I use MTEXT the text will be at 270 degrees, even when I use the rotate option. In the TEXT Dialog window the Match Text Orientation to Layout is NOT selected.
    When I use single line TEXT I can enter the angle of orientation the text will be made at that given orientation, but the default will remain at 270 degrees.
    Text orientation is correct in Leaders, Dimension Styles, and Tables.
    I want the default text orientation to be at zero when in the front view. I know there is a variable to fix this, but for the life of me I cannot recall how to access that list or remember what that variable is.
    Typically I need detail step-by-step directions to fix my problems.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Text orientation at 270 degrees

It sounds as if you are changing your view direction but not setting the co-ordinate system (UCS) to match the view.

Edit - and TW is an option of the DVIEW command, not a command in it's own right (as Michael said).

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your input. Here is how I fixed it.

Open AutoCAD 2011/select NEW/select OPEN WITH NO TEMPLATE - METRIC/rotate cube to front view/ VIEW tab/COORDINATES box/VIEW command and it was fixed.

When I did this previous to today it would not work, when I followed the steps listed above. The only difference was I opened AutoCAD 2011 and did the steps outlined above before doing any other commands. The other days I worked on other projects before following the steps above.

Login to Give a bone

I don't really follow that but, once you have it set as you want it, save as a template file for future use.