Thread: Purchase of Civil 3D Software

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Purchase of Civil 3D Software

Not sure if this is where I should post this, but here goes. Looking at purchasing AutoCAD Civil 3D. I am not attending any school, so cannot purchase education version. Also operating on small budget, so wondering where to get a copy of the software for bargain price, if possible. I have seen some web sites advertising where you can download the software from their site for $400. Have also seen sites on Craigs List, as well as software disks for sale on eBay. So what about these sites where you can download the software? Are they legitimate? Also looking at purchasing AutoCAD C3D 2010, in hopes of getting a deal. I don't necessarily need the latest version. Any and all input appreciated. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Purchase of Civil 3D Software

any site that's offering a dramatically discounted price for c3d is not selling you a usable license - they are simply scamming you for whatever money they can extract from your wallet, and at best can supply you with a 30 version that expires at the end and can not be registered/activated. Unless that is, you pay autodesk full price for a license in addition to whatever the scammer took you for.

Buying earlier versions is similarly not possible. Licenses are non-transferable, so you would not be able to get a legitimate authorization code from Autodesk. The software vendors (not just autodesk) have decided that the First Sale doctrine does not apply to their products, and hence have totally eliminated what could have been a vibrant software resale market. Legality of such a dictate has never been tested in a competent court.

You're not stating the purpose to which you would put c3d, so be aware that using any of the educational products for commercial use is banned by the EULA - and such products are infected with the educational stamp 'virus', that propagates to any drawing edited in that software. Giving a client drawings so infected is a sure way to lose that client, forever.

Bottom line is if you need to have Civil3D, you'll pay full price (or close to it) and get charged for the first year of subscription on top of that. There are lower cost alternatives you could explore, if you are reluctant to spend that huge chunk of change up front.

Login to Give a bone

The only other option I can think of is that they had an economic stimulus program for people who had been off work. The idea was to promote retraining. I don't know if its still in effect. You should contact your local reseller.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    any site that's offering a dramatically discounted price for c3d is not selling you a usable license - they are simply scamming you for whatever money they can extract from your wallet, and at best can supply you with a 30 version that expires at the end and can not be registered/activated.
    Or one more possibility, they are giving you a working, but pirated copy...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    The only other option I can think of is that they had an economic stimulus program for people who had been off work. The idea was to promote retraining. I don't know if its still in effect.
    It's still in effect until early next year.
    http://www.autodesk.com/pr-assistanceprogram

To the OP - long story short..........regardless of the price (from Free through the assistance program, to full price from the Adsk store, or somewhere in between) - there are only two legitimate places to obtain Civil 3D - Autodesk or one of their resellers.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

IIRC -- the assistance program is supplying people with Educational versions, with the EDU stamp showing up and infesting every drawing. Good program for learning or brushing up on your skills with current versions, but not usable commercially, as a subcontractor, free lancer, or consultant. Lots of questions on the autodesk forums popped up after that program came out with people trying to find out how to remove the stamp - guess the participants neglected to read the fine print..

Draftsight is free for either commerccial or personal use w/o restrictions, but is limited to basic CAD commands -- no API or extendability at this time. If you need civil features, Carlson will work with or without AutoCAD - but no C3D objects. Bricsys or Ares are potentials and can run add-ons, but YMMV. If you can get away from DWG compatibility, there are other options as well.

If you _need_ Civil3D, it's going to cost. None of the on-line scammers purporting to sell you civil 3d can.