See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: interactive user logon for AutoCAD 2005 (Help)

Login to Give a bone

Red face interactive user logon for AutoCAD 2005 (Help)

I am having an issue with the interactive user logon or multiple user logon. After the network insulation is complete from the image the user first installed works correctly but when they logoff and a new user logon to the workstation and tries to execute AutoCAD 2005.exe it starts an mini installer, where it gatherers information and errors with
    “Unable to run AutoCAD. This may be due to one of the following reasons:

1) This version of AutoCAD was not installed properly. In this case, you may wish to reinstall AutoCAD.

2) You do not have sufficient rights to run AutoCAD.”

Hear is some info on my configuration. 10 users AutoCAD 2005 network license all built from the same image. We are running 2005 and 2002 simultaneously. The workstations are running Windows XP SP2 with all updates. I have implemented Group Policy in accordance with the Microsoft Threats and Countermeasures Guide. And Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 1.2.

I have had this issue with every AutoCAD 2005 insulation. I have rebuilt the image twice and redeployed.

Microsoft Threats and Countermeasures Guide: can be found hear…

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 1.2.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../mbsahome.mspx

Any help would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

David Powers
    Engineering PLUS, LLC

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: interactive user logon for AutoCAD 2005 (Help)

Hi

Have a browse of the following thread -

Renaming user names

+

Check out the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS72223 - Cannot run product installed by user logged into local machine as Administrator

+

Have a browse of the following results obtained via the Autodesk "AutoCAD" Discussion Groups -

"Unable to run AutoCAD" - 11 results

Please note the information above may not answer your question directly, I mainly offer the information in the hope you will find one or two bits useful and they will aid you in resolving your particular issue/problem.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: interactive user logon for AutoCAD 2005 (Help)

Thanks mike,
    I think it may be a group policy setting that preventing the additional user for running AutoCAD 2005. The permissions are all still set fro 2002 (all users are local administrators) and 2002 has worked for some time now (over a year). I guess I trying to find out what group policy setting affect AutoCAD 2005 and witch ones may cause this behavior. I on subscription and that amount of help I gotten from the vender is comical at best. So I have been forced to tern to web. And help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: interactive user logon for AutoCAD 2005 (Help)

this was AutoDesk anwset to my issue. it gave me some diection but for being under subsritions i think it bsicly thay seid get stuffed...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=2475323 The consensus is the problem resides in the permissions set for the users and their profiles. I have included the case notes which should be helpful in trying to isolate the issue.

David,

Typically we see these types of errors with heavily customized user profiles; AutoCAD testing is done with relatively default Microsoft user profiles. AutoCAD has not been tested alongside all the recommendations in the referenced document and at this time it is not possible for us to support parts of this customization. I have submitted the Threats and Countermeasures document to our development team to aid in possible testing of future releases; unfortunately at this time I do not have additional information about which settings can cause this error. The customer will need to test and isolate the problematic customizations made to his user profiles, but here is a series of process steps that can aid in that discovery process:

1) On the ActiveDirectory server create a new OU. Ensure that this OU is not inheriting any settings from any OUs above it in the directory.

2) Move a workstation (preferably a clean test machine) into this OU. Create also a new standard user or two within this OU. DO NOT enable roaming profiles or make any modifications to these user profiles yet!

3) Install AutoCAD as a local admin on this machine (if you have not already)

4) Log in as the user(s) created in step 2 and test AutoCAD functionality

5) Begin migrating customizations in groups from the original OU to the new test OU. Test AutoCAD functionality after adding each new set of customizations.

Some of the settings to be on the lookout for are settings that redirect user folders, restrict user permissions to their user profile etc. AutoCAD only supports user profiles where that user has full control rights to all folders under their user folder in Documents and Settings and also has full control rights to their HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry branch.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: interactive user logon for AutoCAD 2005 (Help)

I have had a very hard time pin pointing this problem. But this morning I found the GP settings that were causing all the problems.

“Do not add shares of recently opened documents to My Network Places” need to be Disabled
    “Prohibit user from changing My Documents path” need to be Disabled

I just wanted to share so incase it come up again. But I do wish that AutoDesk would work with these settings enabled from a network management point of view. Perhaps in the next release….

Thanks everyone,

Dave