Thread: Controling Nested Family Types by A Type Parameter in the Host Family

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Controling Nested Family Types by A Type Parameter in the Host Family

Is it possible to control a Nested Family Type with A type parameter in the Host family? For Example I have a Water Closet Family. Each part of the family (seat valve china) is a separate nested family with multiple types. I would like to control what nested family type is being used by the host family type. Example I have a Flush Valve Family one type Manual flush, the other Sensor operated nested in my main Water Closet Family. I want to be able to control what type flush valve is used in my water closet family type parameters.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Controling Nested Family Types by A Type Parameter in the Host Family

You could create yes/no visibility parameters as type parameter and create family types. Or if you want an "on the go" option, create the parameter as a yes/no visibility instance parameter, and just one family, and go from there. I prefer the first, but some like the flexibility of the second. Can be done though.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Controling Nested Family Types by A Type Parameter in the Host Family

That's how I went about it my first time around. However each of the nested families have shared parameters for scheduling and vary by type. If I were to use the yes no visibility, the schedule information would have to be the same. Unless I created more parameters, and use a conditional formula to show different scheduling information depending on the parameters. My problem with that is i would have dozens, or maybe hundreds of parameters per family. I think It would be easier, and more organized to tell each of the nested families what type to use for Different types In the main family.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Create your families and nest them into the host family. Assembly your host family with the parts you just loaded. Create a new parameter which is <Family Type...> type. Then just select each part and add a label to it. Once in the project, you'll be able to switch each part of the family with any of the loaded families (if the same category).

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Nice.. Thanks Andre, I was missing the labeling part of using that parameter. For my next brain buster is it possible to filter the selections of that parameter by family name?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kemigr View Post
    Nice.. Thanks Andre, I was missing the labeling part of using that parameter. For my next brain buster is it possible to filter the selections of that parameter by family name?
    Not that I know, Ken. It will list all the families from the same category...

Andre Carvalho