Thread: 3D Dimensioning

Login to Give a bone

Default 3D Dimensioning

I raised the question of dimensioning in 3D in my first post and since then have experimented to find out what the problem really was. It seems that when dimensioning objects in the Z axis ,(height of extruded objects), the extension lines, dimension lines and text get offset from their associated definition points by various distances that can cause the total model space to be quite large and consequently the screen view of the object can become quite small. I have lived with this by exploding the "offending" dimension(s) which seems to delete the definition points. I then move the exploded components of the dimension to the position I want them to be.
    I am embarassed to mention that I am using autocad 2000 . I recently tried to download a 30 day trial of the latest autocad. The excercise nearly blew all my 7 GB of download allowance and all I have got is about 300MB of autocad 2011 sitting on my hard drive which I can not get to run. The download is via the Autodesk site and I am disappointed to say the least about a lack of information on what to expect or how to execute the downloaded software.
    Paynie

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3D Dimensioning

To address your problem with dimensioning - as you are dimensioning your 3d geometry you want to adjust the UCS orientation and the origin of the UCS to align the dimension to the feature before creating them. AutoCAD will always place the dimensions at Z=0 so move the z to the feature. There really is no need to explode your dimensions for this.

I do not believe a newer version changes this behavior.

Login to Give a bone

This thread and this thread expand a bit on the answers given to your first post.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    and expand a bit on the answers given to your first post.
    Hi jaberwok
    Thanks for your interest.
    Yours was the only answer I got from my first post. I am not all sure how the forums work but I presumed everyone has access to the answer(s) given to questions raised in posts, (threads?). However I have not got an answer to the process of downloading and using a 30day trial of Autocad. What I downloaded is not self starting and I could not find an obvious "execute " file either to get things going. I will have to wait till the end of the month now to do it all over again as my download limit has almost gone. I hope the "30 day clock" is not running already in which case this is all for naught.
    I have had an answer to my second post, re 3Ddimensioning, from someone in Illinois which I can't find at the moment.
    Regards
    dankas

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The 30 day trial starts at time of software activation.

john

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jnoon View Post
    The 30 day trial starts at time of software activation.

john
    30-day trial is not an activated license. 30-day trial clock starts at time of install.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dankas View Post
    ... I have not got an answer to the process of downloading and using a 30day trial of Autocad. What I downloaded is not self starting and I could not find an obvious "execute " file either to get things going. I will have to wait till the end of the month now to do it all over again as my download limit has almost gone. I hope the "30 day clock" is not running already in which case this is all for naught.
    This is really a separate question - this forum is "AutoCAD 3D(2006 or below)" but I assume you have downloaded AutoCAD 2011?
    I've never downloaded AutoCAD but installation from a disc-based version always starts with a SETUP.EXE file.

Quote Originally Posted by dankas View Post
    I have had an answer to my second post, re 3Ddimensioning, from someone in Illinois which I can't find at the moment.
    Good, I'm glad that you have the answer.